Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dave72

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2021
Resolution:
1) Disabled TimeMachine protection within Bitdefender
2) Rebooted, ran backup, no issues

Original query:

I have TimeMachine backing up to Synology NAS.

The backups have hit 400GB; old backups are not being automatically remove.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong, please? I have run Disk Utility to ensure there are no issued on my MBA M1.

Screenshots below; shows "manual" backup frequency as TimeMachine stopped processing backups, due to space limitation:

Greenshot 2022-10-28 05.37.28.png

Greenshot 2022-10-28 05.39.23.png

Greenshot 2022-10-28 05.39.46.png

Last edited:

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
It's not doing anything by itself because you've got it set to manual. Click on the Options button and set it to automatic. I think you'll be fine after that.

dave72

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2021
It's not doing anything by itself because you've got it set to manual. Click on the Options button and set it to automatic. I think you'll be fine after that.

Thank you for your reply.

I in my original thread, I did mention that I had set this to manual as TimeMachine stopped backing up (and the alerts became a nuisance).

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
What did the alerts say? I’d suggest putting it back to automatic. It’s supposed to automatically thin the backups to make use of the space available.

dave72

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2021
What did the alerts say? I’d suggest putting it back to automatic. It’s supposed to automatically thin the backups to make use of the space available.

I found that Bitdefender was doing something with TimeMachine backups, something to do with preventing unauthorised modification.

I disabled this element of Bitdefender, rebooted, and backup is now working as expected.

Reactions: appltech
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.