Timemachine - not recognising previous backups

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MacAodh, Jan 3, 2009.

1. MacAodh macrumors regular

Hi all,
    I've been having problems with my backup. The last few times I've tried to backup my computer it's saying that the backup is too large for the backup volume. The reason for this is not because the disk is too small but because it's not recognising that there is already backup-ed info on that disk and not integrating with that.

Up to about two weeks ago my computer was backing up grand and in the space of two days it stopped allowing me to back up due to this error. I don't want to delete the old stuff as it kind of defeats the purpose of the backup to do so.

Any suggestions?

2. wacohoover macrumors newbie

I am having a similar problem with my Time Machine. Everything seems up to date as far as software goes. Basically, TM won't erase my old backups in order to save a current backup. When I try to view my previous backups, I cannot see any backups for last year, only from 2009. Everything is there, because the drive is full...I just can't see the files.

So, it seems that because these old backups are not being seen by TM, it cannot delete them as needed for space, nor can I delete them manually.

Anyone have ideas on a fix? Thanks.