TimeMachine post 10.5.6

Discussion in 'macOS' started by corbywan, Dec 15, 2008.

1. corbywan macrumors regular

I wasn't sure where else to put this and I know people here have TimeMachine/backup experience.

I don't know if this is true after every system software update, but after applying 10.5.6, Time Machine wants to backup 70GB worth of stuff. That's an additional 70GB worth of space taken up on my backup drive. I'm guess that that is all of the file differences because of the update?

it so happens that I have a little over 71GB worth of stuff on my drive total. (What can I say, I leave a small footprint and archive a lot off disk). So it basically wants to back up my entire drive all over again.

Is this normal? I could nuke the existing backup and just start fresh and not be concerned with losing anything.

[Bump for post moved from different forum.]

Anyone?

2. Akzel macrumors regular

It's taking ages to prepare the backup, when it actually starts to transfer the files, I'll report... :rolleyes:

EDIT: Took ages to prepare an almost instantaneous backup, lol. not trying to do anything weird at all.

3. ChrisA macrumors G4

Yes it's normal. If you "nuked" the drive you'd loose whatever data (documents, photos,...) that are on the drive. You loose all of that. The best thing is to just leave it alone and let it do its thing. It will backup whatever is new and if more space is needed TM will delete the oldest data

If you do decide to erase the drive make sure you have some other redundent backups some place.

4. losx12 macrumors member

I'm having the same problem, Time Machine is stuck on "Preparing..." It hasn't done a new backup since I installed 10.5.6. It tried to do a backup for about an hour until I realized it was stuck so I stopped the back up. I turned off the computer, restarted, removed all USB devices, ejected and turned off the Time Machine drive and nothing seems to solve the problem. It still just hangs on "Preparing..."

What makes things worse and I don't know if I should make a separate thread for this but when I connect my iPod touch iTunes doesn't recognize it and asks me if I want to restore it from a back up. Nothing seems wrong with the iPod itself, all my music, movies, files, apps, everything is there and works fine but iTunes thinks its a new iPod.

I should mentioned that I synced the iPod before installing 10.5.6 and it synced just fine. It wasn't plugged into the computer when I updated to 10.5.6 but Time Machine was.

EDIT:
    Okay so it took a really, really long time but it's backing up now. Apple recommends that you don't interrupt it like I did because it will result in even longer waiting time.

As for the iPod touch I found this article on Apple's website which I'm going to do as soon as Time Machine is done backing up. Hopefully that works.

5. ec51 macrumors 6502

Mine did the saaame thing. However, now under "Shared" on my finder window - I have a new icon - it says "Eric's Macbook" - which is the name of my comp - but its a picture of an LCD - and I cannot connect to it. Weeeeird....

6. corbywan thread starter macrumors regular

The question I had originally had to do with the fact that TM wanted to backup the ENTIRE drive again, not just updates. It prepares and starts no problem. I just don't get why it wants to backup the whole thing again.

7. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

For those of you stuck on prepare, try;

1. Opening Time Machine System Prefs
    2. Re-select your TM HDD
    3. This will prompt you for your mater password
    4. Enter master password and close TM System Prefs
    5. Select Back Up Now from TM in menu bar

It might take a few minutes but, these steps work for me. My TM is as good as ever now after 10.5.6 update.

8. ec51 macrumors 6502

Now whenever I am on another wireless network my TC status says backup delayed and the exclamation point icon appears.