Timemachine problems after clean install

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by alexh123drum, Mar 21, 2010.

1. alexh123drum macrumors member

OK so I performed a clean install of snow leopard onto my mac as per the youtube tutorials where you go into utilities via the disk and erase your old partition. This worked great as did migration assistant in putting everything back.
    Now however when I go to backup again via timemachine, it calculates changes for hours. When it finally has calculated is says its backing up like 150GB (so all my stuff). So I left it to do that, when I got back my computer was at the login window after what I think it must have restarted. But the backup never took place as im now trying again.

Should I erase my timemachine and try again?

Also im using a WD mybook 500GB as the timemachine drive.

Thanks

2. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

If I understand you accurately, you are correct. You have a new installation so TimeMachine is saying it has an entire drive to backup. I have several of these "new" backups on my TM. If you want to format the TM drive you are surely free to but you need to be sure, very very sure, that you have anything and everything that might need to be replaced... for me that is my iTunes library which I backup 5 different ways including DVDs.

Good luck... :cool:

3. alexh123drum thread starter macrumors member

Hey thanks for the reply. All sorted now, after it ran through once its up to full speed. I may reformat anyway just to get more space on my other partition for movies as Iv ran out