Timemachine Question??

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by GreatDanton, Dec 4, 2014.

1. GreatDanton macrumors newbie

Hi Guys

I was just telling a friend how great Time Machine was and advising him to purchase an external so he could use it himself.

I wanted to demonstrate the feature in action, so I went into a project folder called 'Motion' and deleted a tutorial PDF to simulate a lost file. I then went into TM to retrieve it only to realise TM won't let me go back.

You can see this in the 10 second video here.

http://vimeo.com/113629921?email_id...e_complete-finished-20120100&utm_source=email
    --

I've managed to get the PDF by clicking into the TM file structure and choosing the file, but its not exactly how its supposed to work. Any idea what could have caused this.

2. Alrescha macrumors 68020

No, but I did try your experiment. I moved a PDF from my desktop and then started up Time Machine. I had to wait a few seconds for things to get mounted (I use a Time Capsule), then I clicked back one day, selected the file and hit Restore. The file is back on my desktop.

A.

3. jdphoto macrumors 6502

jdphoto

Is the "01 Motion Training" folder new? Before you click on it, it looks like Time Machine will let you go back multiple versions. The way it looks, it seems that that folder has only existed for one round of backups. If it has been around awhile, select the "Active Projects" folder and go back one version and see when it was. Maybe Time Machine hasn't backed up in a while?

4. GreatDanton thread starter macrumors newbie

No, there are tons of backups, my Thunderbay is on all the time. The Motion file has existed since the first backup in September. It would have been unchanged since then, but realistically, it should have showed the ability to go back for that file.

I've worked out that the only files that show any previous version are the home folder, applications folder, and the desktop. If I navigate from that folder and only if I go from that folder, can I go back, even inside other folders within that.

5. jdphoto macrumors 6502

jdphoto

There seems to be a somewhat hackish solution discussed at the link below. May be a bug in Time Machine? I don't use TM for backups so unfortunately I can't test this.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6601861