TimeMachine Question

Discussion in 'macOS' started by techguy40, Mar 30, 2008.

1. techguy40 macrumors regular

I have an external 500gb hard drive with some backup on it already and it was formatted to NTFS.

Can I use Timemachine on it and not lose any files I have on there already?

or do I need to partition it so timemachine can write to it? Is there a way to partition part of the external harddrive for timemachine and not lost my files I have on the external harddive for windows? If so how step by step.

Thanks

2. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Well I'd recommend partitioning it and formatting the new partition HFS+. You can do this using Applications (folder) > Utilities (folder) > Disk Utility (application) > Select the disk (left hand side select the disk, not the partition) > Partition (tab)

Then just move around the divider to adjust the size and hit the Apply button.

You can then setup Time Machine in the Time Machine system preferences panel.

3. techguy40 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks

And this method will leave my files on the external alone and not erase the ntfs partition that has those files on it?

4. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

It shouldn't. If it gives you a message saying it is reformatting the ntfs partition then, yeah it will delete the files but I'm pretty sure 10.5 won't do that.

5. techguy40 thread starter macrumors regular

ok thanks

I don't see a divider to adjust the size when i go with those steps above.

I already have files on my external harddrive thats formatted as ntfs.

I want to use existing 150gb as NTFS and 350GB new partitions hfs+ for timemachine.

6. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Yeah, you have to select the number of partitions from the pull down menu after you hit the partition tab. Select 2 (it should be set to 1). Then hit apply and reformat the one without the stuff on it to be hfs+.

7. techguy40 thread starter macrumors regular

How will I know which partition has files on it without erasing it? It does nto tell you.