TimeMachine restore issue to 2012 MBP from 2016 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shareef777, Dec 12, 2016.

1. shareef777 macrumors 68000

shareef777

I've given up on my 2016 MBP. Going to return it so I took a final TM backup and ran a restore on my existing 2012. The TM backup for the 2016 was done via wireless to my NAS (Synology) and the restore was also done from the same NAS (via wired). Restore takes just under 2 hours which is pretty accurate for the size of the backup (350GB). My NAS is averaging 70MBps for the restore. The only issue is that after the restore is completed, my machine would reboot and eventually get to a 'do not enter' prompt, and never finishes booting.

Anyone have experience with that? Curious if the fact that the source backup is from a newer machine then the target restore?

Thanks

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Stupid question, but is the TM backup an earlier version (10.11-) of OS X? You won't be able to restore anything but a 10.12.1 build onto the nMBP.

3. shareef777 thread starter macrumors 68000

shareef777

I'm actually restoring TO my older 2012 rMBP, from a backup I made of my 2016. I used internet recovery mode and didn't realize that internet recovery mode booted into Mountain Lion (assumed that it would load the newest macOS recovery system since it's being pulled down from the internet). I loaded Sierra onto a USB drive and was able to successfully restore my system.