TimeMachine stupidity ! Restore data without enough space

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Sasdoe, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Sasdoe macrumors newbie

Hi all !

Haven't ever cared to find out how, but somehow in october a little over 70g (not my entire collection) of music (in folder itunes media/music/) found themseleves deleted entirely from my computer. I didn't really care since i had it on my ipod and listened to it from there, but now i want it back.

The thing is i have since then downloaded music, and i have around 100gb left space on my macbook. Also, the music seems to be have deleted really randomly. Last of all, the entire collection in october was 170gb.

So when i go into time machine, and select the entire music folder, i get an error stating there isn't enough space on my hard drive, but i now for a fact that i would have enough space if finder prompted me before hand to skip duplicates, but before getting there it realises i am trying to transfer 170gb and only have 100gb left free space.

Also, i can't open my sparsebundle for some odd reason. But even when i could, either chronosync would give me an error on each and every file it tried to transfer, or when it tried using the finder even when i did have sufficient space it only transfered 80gb a pop, and then i am stuck since i don't have enough space to do the again.

Hope i have been as clear as possible, but if you need more detail i am right here !

Thank you !

2. Sasdoe thread starter macrumors newbie

Solved

OK to those who might have the same problem using chronosync (each time i'd get an error "unable to create folder permission denied"), all you have to do is open the "local volume" dropdown for the folder you are copying to select "local volume admin access" and authenticate yourself in the "chronosync" menu list.

3. Fishrrman macrumors G3

Suggestion for the future:

STOP using Time Machine and start using CarbonCopyCloner instead.

If you had done this in the past, ALL your music files would have been instantly-mountable, right there in front of you in POFF (plain old finder format).

You wouldn't be having these problems now….

4. AlanShutko macrumors 6502a

Or the clone would have been done more recently than October and he wouldn't have the files at all. Time machine and clones both have their place.