TimeMachine wants to back up HOW MUCH??!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by RealSkyDiver, Aug 22, 2011.

1. RealSkyDiver macrumors 6502

My SSD is only 150GB big with the rest being dedicated to Win7, but the first backup is over TC is over 700GB big?? This is the only disc selected for the backup so why is it that size:confused:

2. RealSkyDiver thread starter macrumors 6502

So why is it this large?? My MBA has the same drive but the initial backup is less than 40GB:confused:

3. Brian33 macrumors 6502a

According to Why are my backups so large?:

Could TM be backing up the contents of your 2 TB HDD without you knowing?

Another idea is to use TimeTracker which can show you the contents of each backup. It's "pre-release" but I've used it and it works well. Available free at http://www.charlessoft.com/.

Regards,
    Brian33

4. RealSkyDiver, Aug 23, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2011

RealSkyDiver thread starter macrumors 6502

awww thanks thats why! At least I also figured out now how to mount the backup-image so I can just delete folders there manually.

5. Brian33 macrumors 6502a

You probably don't want to do that unless you're running Lion (and maybe not even then). I don't have any personal experience, but according to Should I delete old backups? If so, How?, you shouldn't do it via the finder:

I dunno -- I always use the TM "star wars" interface to delete stuff from the backups. Take it for what it's worth.

Regards,
    Brian33

6. RealSkyDiver thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, I will try the "Star Wars" method since you can't delete backups on Lion via finder. Not sure why it's mentioned in the first place.