TimeMachine was complete new Backup after Installing Lion?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by mstephan, Jul 22, 2011.

1. mstephan macrumors newbie

I have used TimeCapsule & Machine for a long time. After Installing Lion, it doesn't see my old backups, and says I have none, and much backup again new. Must I do this or is there a way for it to see my old backups and backup from there so I can always see my old backups, and get documents I might want?

2. dubnde macrumors regular

You need to re-enable it I think. Mine was greyed out and realised it is disabled by default. Check the preferences

3. mstephan thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope, when I open up TM preferences, it asks for me to select a drive, I select my Time Capsule Drive, and it wants to do an entirely new backup, and says there are no previous ones. However, I look on the drive, and they are there. Of course, to do a complete new backup, it takes a lot of space, so I'd have to delete my old backups, which I don't want to do. This is why I want it to continue where it left off.

4. CalMin macrumors 6502a

CalMin

I just got this message on my MacBook pro.

"A problem has occurred that prevents Time Machine from using the existing backup."

The only option presented was to start a new backup. It's a bit annoying, but really not much more than an inconvenience on this machine.

5. parish macrumors 65816

parish

Hmm, sounds bad. I use TM with a USB disk and there isn't enough space to create a new backup without deleting the existing one. No big deal for me as I also have backups using CCC to a RAID on a Linux box.

Just thought, could this be a feature? If you could access your old backups then, in theory at least, you could restore SL files over Lion which I'm sure would be a whole bag of hurt. OK, so you may only backup your data files, but TM doesn't know this.

6. dubnde, Jul 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2011

dubnde macrumors regular

hmmm... okay. Sounds like I didn't see the problem you are facing. Though should mention is that what I did was to import the Accounts from Time Machine just after doing a clean install. Not sure if it makes any difference. Also I am not using Time Capsule but a USB connected drive and that could be the difference.

EDIT: Reading your question again(I should read carefully really!), I realise I need to check my backup it did after clean install because it may have done a complete backup. Wasn't bothered much as I have huge external drive but I will check when I get home in about three hours time.

7. Benbikeman macrumors 6502a

Benbikeman

I got some error message along those lines, but when I switched the TM control panel to off then on again, it resumed backup fine. The first backup after Lion did take a while, but it didn't do a whole new one.

8. JTToft macrumors 68040

No issues with Time Machine here. I haven't touched the settings since upgrading to Lion, and everything works great - including restoring files.

But I'm curious: does anyone know the difference between the pink and the grey sections in the Time Machine interface (see screenshot)? Is it perhaps to distinguish the local backups (new feature in Lion) from the ones on the Time Machine drive. If so, which is which?

Attached Files:

9. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

The pink lines might be local snapshots. Made when your TM was not connected to the disk.

10. JTToft macrumors 68040

- No, actually it has to be the other way around. I just realised that.
    If you look in the top portion of my screenshot, all the lines are pink. Those are from before I installed Lion, so they have to be the external backups.

11. Jony Mac macrumors 6502

Jony Mac

I'm not sure about Pink lines, but I thought Green Lines show what is a Time Machine backup, and White shows what is a local snapshot.

12. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

Ah, ok.

13. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

I just looked at my time machine. i haven't looked at it in awhile mine had a smooth transition from SL to Loin the only thing is everything is now pink except where it says today.

14. Q-chan macrumors member

Pre-Lion magenta items inaccessible

I did a clean install of Lion (to get rid of "experimental skeletons"). When I re-enabled TimeMachine, it happily used the existing settings to my SL Server, but did a full backup. Now I have white and magenta lines in TimeMachine starting from the new full backup, and magenta-only lines into the past. However, the past items are inaccessible, and the corresponding finder frames are not selectable and have a black title bar.

When I installed Lion, I changed the label of my MBP disk to disambiguate it in sharing. This has probably upset TimeMachine. Any idea to fix it? In the sparsebundle I found no way to trace it back to the disk volume name.

However, I have a second TimeMachine backup on an external disk. And here the backup is stored as a timed collection of directory trees, with the root node named as the (old) disk volume name ("Macintosh HD"). Can I safely rename these to the new disk name ("MacBookPro_MK") without corrupting the backup?

Thanks for any insight.

Manfred