Timemachine with more than one disk

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ajbrehm, Oct 16, 2009.

1. ajbrehm macrumors 6502

If I use Timemachine to backup more than one disk (i.e. system disk and a data disk in my Mac Pro), how will a system restore work?

Will Timemachine restore only the system drive and leave further restores to me to do with the Timemachine interface or will Timemachine insist that the disk configuration be the same (or similar) in the machine I restore to?

2. RemarkabLee macrumors 6502a

I'm not 100%, but I'm sure TS works in terms of volumes, not disks.

Therefore when doing a full restore, you'll do it a volume at a time.

3. tibi08 macrumors 6502a

tibi08

That's an excellent question, which Apple must have the answer to!

4. ajbrehm thread starter macrumors 6502

Same type of animal in most cases, volume or disk.

What does "a volume at a time" mean? Would Timemachine restore ALL volumes (one at a time) or ONE volume (leaving the others to me to restore one at a time)?

5. ajbrehm thread starter macrumors 6502

I'd rather not get the answer from Apple but from people who have actually used Timemachine in these scenarios.

I found that Apple are usually ridiculously unaware of what happens when you use their software.

6. RemarkabLee macrumors 6502a

When you perform a system restore, it will look at your Time Machine disk and it will give you the option to restore from the volumes you have backed up . i.e. it will show you from which Mac you backups are from and within that you'll see the volumes within, in your case a system volume and a data volume.

You'll need to have the disk partitions ready on the target Mac, i.e. have a data volume ready to accept the data volume backup and the same for the system volume. It will not re-create the disk partitions for you (if using a single disk) or write to separate disks if the volumes reside on separate disks.

7. ajbrehm thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks!

How will it know which partition is supposed to be which? Does it go by simple order?