Timemachine with your notebook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Cannedkoala, Jun 22, 2009.

1. Cannedkoala macrumors member

Hey,

I'm going to make the switch soon and get a 13" MBP. I was just wondering how you guys go about setting up time machine on a portable device. (Edit: Not the technical side of setting up, just how you organise connecting to your drives etc.)

Do you just plug it in every now and then and let it do it's thing? Automatic or manual backup? It feels like it's hard to get the most out of time machine when not perpetually plugged in.

A wireless networked storage is not really a solution for me at the moment, but how does that work out for others?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I use my MBP much like a desktop with an external 23" ACD
    I keep connected to my 1 TB MyBook with Time Machine
    When I do go mobile, I just plug it back in when I return and it picks up where it left off

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

I JUST figured out how to use a shared drive on my windows box as the destination drive for time machine and let me tell you, it was annoying as hell to set up. A lot of B.S. for people who haven't purchased time capsule or have an external drive....

if anyone needs to know how to actually do it (i found about 100 different wrong ways on google) pm me. I'm thinking about adding a walkthrough for it on my blog with pictures etc. because it was seriously mind-blowingly difficult to get running, but now its all good.