TimeMachine - wont boot after recovery?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by km9898, Apr 11, 2012.

1. km9898 macrumors member

Wow, i dont know where to start..

I have a iMac 27" intel i7 2011. Havent had any problem with it until yesterday. I was erasing my files i had in my recycle bin and for some strange reason i see that around 70% of all my files on my harddrive was gone. I also saw in finder that i had almost entire harddrive empty..

Hmm, i was scared but i thought that this is not so bad, because i have a 2TB external disk that's making time machine backups all the time.

I booted up with my recovery parition and started to recovery from time machine backup that i have since a few days ago (to be sure that it worked then).

When the recovery was finished (after around 8h / 600 GB) it was complete. But now when im booting up my iMac, all i got is apple logo and spinning wheel. I can hear that all my drives is starting up, exactly like always, but its stuck there, its spinning..

What i've tried until now is:

- Repair disk permissions
    - Repair disk
    - Resetting NVRAM and PRAM
    - Disconnect all cables and only run with power cable connected.
    - Safeboot (Its the same here, cant boot)
    - Doing another time machine recovery but at a even earlier date.

Please guys, help me

EDIT: I had not been able to boot at all since a did my first try to recover from time machine.

2. Bear macrumors G3

My suggestion would be to do a clean install of IS X and then recover user data and applications from the Time Machine backup. You might want to consider doing fresh installs of the applications as well after the recovery is complete.