timeout?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by dukebound85, Oct 22, 2007.

1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

how does one get in time out? just wondering as i have seen some members with this "status"

is it like being banned?

2. bartelby macrumors Core

It is like being banned, except you get to come back.

3. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Yes, a time-out is temporary.

Dunno if it's in here, but I do wish more folks would read this thread. Along with the Forum Rules, and hell, the FAQs, too. Lotsa great info.

4. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

The "Banned" title used to apply to both temporary and permanent bans. Even though moderation issues are handled privately, we added the separate "In Time-Out" title for temporary bans so that others would know it wasn't permanent.

The reason and length of the "time-out" are not shown, but they are known to the member involved.

If someone is "Banned" or "In Time-Out" it means they broke forum rules. The severity, frequency, or circumstances determine which type of ban it is.

5. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

that first link was well a long read but a good read.

6. kwood macrumors 6502a

kwood

And also ironic that the third and sixth person to post in that thread are now currently banned. They even read how and why banning works. Must have used the "Do not" list as a guide.:D

Kidding, I don't know why they got banned, and I apologize in advanced if the comment offends anyone.

7. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

As a newish mod, I just want to add a personal note here.

There are very few people that I personally enjoy banning... commercial spammers usually. The decision to time-out or ban someone isn't taken lightly, or honestly, even with much pleasure, and is usually in agreement with others or after a review of their actions.

As jsw and Q mentioned in the thread linked to by devilot, we're volunteers, we do this because we've also come to love the site and its community in our own ways, and we don't need or want our time taken up with vendettas and persecuting certain forum members... it's just too draining.

So if you find yourself attracting attention from a particular mod, it's usually because they've noticed a pattern of behaviour that breaks forum rules in some way or another and the mod is perhaps being more active in one forum or thread where the transgressions are taking place.

8. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

That OP by jsw was very informative...I didn't even know it existed. Can it be stickied again?

This is a bit of a tangent question, but how are situations handled wherein the poster creates only minor annoyances? For example, new posters which refuse to use multi-quote, or who create duplicate threads on a repeated basis (even if they've already been told before not to do it)? I only ask because this seems to be happening with greater frequency now than before.

9. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

A number of different strategies are employed. Let's just say they're handled in different ways depending on the situation and forum member involved.

10. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Gotcha;)

11. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

how is being picked to become a mod determined? as i would like to be considered sometime down the line. lol im surprised madjew isn't one or dare i say lacero (i know he/she/it is gone but he/she/it dominated these boards during his time!)

blue velvet, did you become a mod this past summer? i ask because i remember you not as one then i went somewhere where i had no internet for the summer and then came back and noticed you were one.

12. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

The chosen few never asked for the job except one who practically begged. :p

13. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I can't possibly figure out who you're talking about:rolleyes::p

Although it will be interesting to see who/if bousozoku's replacement will be (his status says retired...I hope nothing bad).

14. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I honestly don't know the exact answer to that question.

Yes. Where has the summer gone?

15. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Well, if it's any consolation, you are a good mod (not that there are any bad ones).:)

And look on the bright side; now you have time to relax (for a bit).

16. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

i just wanted to second that, Mad Jew is def a solid contributor.

17. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

MJ is a lot like those wise karate masters; he has the knowledge, wisdom, and ability, but he won't take on any position of power:p In a way, I think it's good because Mods have a lot of work to do (I imagine), and MJ is much better at helping others. If he had to waste time cleaning up bad posts, fixing threads, etc, would he be able to help as many posters with their problems? I'm not so sure, since he is human (we think:p).

Just my 2 cents.