Timer beside Airport icon.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ZhaoYun, Jun 22, 2008.

1. ZhaoYun macrumors newbie

Dear All,

I do not know what I've clicked and this timer is running beside my Airport icon (Refer to the screenshot).

May I know how to get rid of the time only but keep the Airport icon ? I tried command-drag but it remove both.

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. ssh macrumors member

Did you ever figure this out? I've managed to get this, too, and don't know why. I'd like to drop it, as well. Thoughts?

3. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

4. tsice19 macrumors 6502a

tsice19

It looks like the connection time.

You could probably try restarting your computer or deleting and re-creating your WiFi profile to get rid of it.

5. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

umm, the thing on the left of the airport icon or the right?
    im guessing left

6. ssh macrumors member

The timer is to the right of the Airport icon. The "Elephant" to the left is the Evernote menubar item. The timer goes up and is related to connection time, but, I have no idea why it's there or what's putting it there... and I'd like it gone!

7. ssh macrumors member

It's independent of network. It has not changed over a reboot. What do you mean by "WiFi profile"?

8. ssh macrumors member

Found it with a bit more Googling... Seems that when you hover your mouse over the network name, one option is "Show time connected". Somehow, that got checked. Not any more... ;)

Thanks, ya'll!

9. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

ya everything can be googled.
    anyway, im trying what you said, and im not exactly getting it.
    do you hover over the network icon in the menu bar?
    hover over the name of the network from the menu bar?

i kinda want to know what and where that is. i.e. the thing you found.

10. ssh macrumors member

The network name has an arrow. Click or hover to get the menu and uncheck the option.

11. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

im sorry but WHAT????

where do i go, in the sys preferences, the menu bar, then click on a sub menu? ...

12. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

13. ssh macrumors member

I tried... that last post was from my iPhone. Trying again from my MBP:

Go to your Airport icon in the menu bar. Click. Slide down to the network name in the list. Some networks (note: not all! Here at Denver International Airport, their network doesn't generate this) will have a menu arrow. Hover over the network name and it will open a submenu. One of the submenu options is to show the connection time. Check it on or off as you prefer.

My home network is an Airport network. Perhaps that only works on Airport networks. I don't know. I just know I saw it there but I don't see it here. I'll test a few more networks this week and let you know.

14. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

ya that would make more sense, (not on all network) because as of the 8 networks here, nada.

15. mactoids macrumors newbie

mactoids

I had never seen this "Show Time Connected" menulet. That's kinda neat. I use an Airport but get nothing when I do a hover over the network. I googled and read where someone suspected that this is only offered if you have the type account that requires a login to connect - which makes sense for a feature like that. Can anyone confirm that? I'd just like to know for curiosity's sake. Thanks.

16. ZhaoYun thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the replies guys, I finally figure it out by goggling...:)