Times App - amazing

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by mattyuk, May 27, 2010.

1. mattyuk macrumors 6502

mattyuk

Just downloaded the times paper app for £10. This is phenomenal. Truly has to be the way forward in news. It is expensive though, but your still saving a lot of money from the actual paper.

2. One Love 1867 macrumors regular

I was looking at this last night. £10 initial outlay isn't great, but a further £10 every 28 days? Don't think I'm enough of a Times reader to stump up for that, tbh.

What are the best things about the app? How does it compare to other newspaper apps?

3. SOLLERBOY macrumors 6502a

is the £10 a one off fee?? Also on sundays can you get the sunday times magazine?

4. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

i would suggest getting the FT app... it's pretty good and it's a free subs till end of July.

i hardly read "papers", but use the FT app a fair bit :)

5. mattyuk thread starter macrumors 6502

mattyuk

The layout of every page is perfect. Might sound insignificant but it really enhances the experience. Plus the new redesign of the times has helped aswell.

[​IMG]

Nah its a 28 days subscription. And no its just for the dail and Saturday papers. Sunday Times is a seperate app. I'll trial it but it seems like it updates at 7am. So unless my work can let me use their wifi, Im literally - technically - buggered. One of the bad things of starting work at 6am :(

6. nanohits macrumors regular

nanohits

Why not get the PressReader App. I believe it has the full Times in there and it costs 90% less :)

7. Project macrumors 68020

I must say I have been fairly stunned with the quality of some of the news apps. The Times (UK), FT, NY Times... absolutely beautiful. This is the future of news reading.

8. mattyuk thread starter macrumors 6502

mattyuk

I have pressreader and it doesn't have The Times.

9. RobNor macrumors regular

How much memory does each days edition take up?

Can you delete editions?

10. nanohits macrumors regular

nanohits

The Times Evening Edition seems to be there?

11. drewbwfc macrumors member

I downloaded this on a whim this morning.

I've never been a big Times reader (I am now ;):D) but whenever I've read it in the past have always found it an interesting read. Anyway the app is top notch and as has been said what I'd expected from newspapers on the iPad. £10 a month is a bargain IMO.

I tried a few papers in Pressreader before getting the Times app and going back to view stuff in press reader is awful in comparison. I've deleted it off my iPad now. I want a Sun version of The Times app for my easy reading! and Sport. And Dear Deardre ;)

12. nanohits macrumors regular

nanohits

Youre kidding me? You must be a fanboi of the TImes App. Cause Press Reader is the exact Replica of daily newspapers and zooms well and works well overall. What did you find so awful about Press Reader that you deleted the app?? These are not some shoddy scans of papers, these are actual publishers high res PDF's in a great format that I can read the entire newspaper and nothing else comes close for value for money for newspapers readers. There is nothing even remotely close.

I dont find Times any more amazing than say the WSJ etc. Its good but I can read so many newspapers in the London Area without paying 10 pounds for it.

13. drewbwfc macrumors member

Perhaps awful was a little harsh. I just found it a little hard work in comparison. I didn't have any gripes with the quality of the scans or anything like that and quite like the way the articles where highlighted and came out in pop out boxes, I just prefer the way The Times App flows if that makes any sense, it doesn't just feel like your flicking through a PDF.

14. nanohits macrumors regular

nanohits

Fair enough. But I found Apps like NYT and WSJ etc similar too. Nothing too fancy and not so much more different than Press Reader. For E.g my newspaper on Press Reader gets delivered by 4AM. Thats very impressive. I havent found the other apps deliver the full print edition anywhere near that time and I pay $29.95 US for unlimited newspapers which is 1000+ newspapers though I only read no more than 4 or 5 of my favorite. My print subscription alone costs me like $40 a month, so I am already saving with additional papers to boot.

I wonder whether the Times Evening Edition is the same paper. If it is then its not worth the 10 pounds they charge for their app.

15. drewbwfc macrumors member

Yeah I have to admit Press Reader is very very good value. I know its only for the one paper but when you consider 30 copies of the times = £30 and the app is £10 for the same amount it is value in that way.

I'm not sure about the Time Evening addition being the same or not, it would be interesting to see for sure. The version on The Times app is the 6am version...

16. mattyuk thread starter macrumors 6502

mattyuk

There is no Times (news international) UK paper on PressReader. FACT. They have Malta and others but not the real deal. PressReader compared to the Times App is shocking really. Sure its nice to have a full newspaper, but you have to zoom in a bit and that takes a while to load anyway.

17. nanohits macrumors regular

nanohits

Doesnt take much at all for me to zoom. and its not shocking as you make it out to be.Times is one of many many papers in the UK. Its one of the best but there are others that are quite good too. The Times is a good App, I wouldnt call it amazing like others have here, The WSJ is also quite good.

You say you have to zoom in PR, well I hate to scroll in the Times App so there you go, its a compromise. I rather much zoom to an article I want than keep scrolling. And I dont have to zoom too much, well unless you have a need for glasses then you will have to fully zoom in. I rather a full newspaper with nothing missed out than an app that leaves things out.

18. mattyuk thread starter macrumors 6502

mattyuk

Its all good. I do like pressreader mainly for the telegraph and the guardian.

19. PhantomZone macrumors 6502

Bargain? Are you mad? Its a complete and utter rip off!

You can subscribe to The Times 7 days a week for 6 months for £36 *and* get a £25 book token into the bargain....how the feck is £10 a month for a virtual copy a bargain :eek:

£5 / month would be reasonable if it included the Sunday Times but pandering to these jokers at these prices only encourages all app developers to continue to take the piss with virtual ink :mad:

20. iKennett macrumors 6502

I find it funny how a pay wall makes you want to read it even more.. it is working for me but £10 a month... nah, not yet anyway.

21. batman75 macrumors 6502

The Times is an app I would like as well, but the $16.99 monthly charge is just ridiculous in my opinion. Instead I am reading the times for free using Safari.

22. drewbwfc macrumors member

Didn't realise you could get it that cheap :eek:

Ah well still enjoying the app, I'd assume the pricing will fluctuate a fair amount in the next 6 months as more companies release apps etc

Just a side note for anyone using the app - is there anyway to delete a paper when done with it? I'm done with Saturday now.

23. One Love 1867 macrumors regular

They're going to charge for the website son though too..

24. mattyuk thread starter macrumors 6502

mattyuk

Im trying to find this out too.