Times Reader -- NYT's Adobe AIR Reading Application

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by mkrishnan, May 11, 2009.

1. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Wired did a take on NYT's Times Reader.

In a way, the application is sort of a retropulsion of the App Store concept -- the app store demonstrated that specialized apps could deliver a superior experience to the web browser for getting some kinds of data while on the go. NYT's own application is one excellent example.

[​IMG]

This, however, is a desktop application that runs in Adobe AIR on top of Windows, OS X, or Linux. It has a very simple installation via Flash and it looks lovely.

EDIT: Interestingly, in Windows XP, it can install itself onto a computer with administrative privileges, if Flash is already installed (but AIR is not). In Linux, in contrast, it required a sudo password. Have not tried it yet in OS X.

2. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I just tried it. Interesting application and interesting idea. $3.50 a week is a little bit pricey, though (for full content access).

I wonder what the future of newspapers is. Printed newspapers are in serious trouble, as you probably know.

Oh, and installing it on OS X is like any other application - it will prompt you for your password.

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I don't really understand why I'd want to install this. I read the news just fine on my browser. Never had a problem with the format.

4. mkrishnan thread starter Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I wonder how it gets away with the zero-auth installation in Windows?

I didn't notice, in my defense, the idea that they wanted users to pay for it when I first saw it and tried it out.

I do think the experience is much richer than the web page -- it has a really great search engine, the dynamic reformatting is great, etc. But the web page isn't bad. I'm not sure that I'd pay for seeing articles in this format instead of in my browser.

I guess I was more interested in the idea of whether this was a test case of Adobe AIR actually bringing the small, independent apps idea from the phone to the desktop. I think in many cases it can provide a richer experience.

5. mwxiao macrumors regular

This is a great app. So much better than the first version when silverlight was used.

I love the format of newspaper with columns. I wish the subscription fee could have been a little lower.

6. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Yeah, I knew AIR can bring some very nice applications since I used the Adobe Media Player. It's a very cool program, but with a limited use.

That's true with all the AIR applications I used - the potential is there, but there's no real killer app yet.