Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Soulstorm

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 1, 2005
I played Timeshift Demo on the PS3, and I found the game great. However, I am reading reviews for this one and it seems it got bad reviews, except from GameTrailers, which gave it a generally good one. However, it seems all reviews fail to give a good reason of why they gave it such a bad review. I find the game interesting and I ordered it from Amazon.

However, I think I should hear opinions from you, guys. Have you played this game on PS3, XBOX360 or PC? What's your opinion about it?

Antares

macrumors 68000
Yeah, I just played the demo too. It's a nice twist being able to rewind the game, if something is about to happen, and take a different route/different action. It looks like a decent shooter. Nothing I would call incredible but still something quite fun. I would actually buy it, myself, but I already have a huge backlog of games to get to.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I bought it for the 360 (because I found it cheap) and its basically an average shooter. The demo gives you an indication of what the game has, but there are long sections where 'timeshifting' disappears into meaningless and it's just boils down to a generic shooter territory.

An ok game, a good rental, just don't pay full price.

Vigilante

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2007
Florida.
I have it on PC, the single player is decent. After a while the puzzles start to diminish until there are none at the end really. Also, there are no boss fights-- the last fight is a joke. The rewinding time is a cool idea, but you can only use it for ~3 seconds for 95% of the game until you have to wait 15 seconds for it to recharge. The multiplayer is fun, but after a while it all feels the same.

zero2dash

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2006
Fenton, MO
I liked the demo but it's a rental or a bargain buy IMO...
there are other games out there with similar "powers" but better stories (F.E.A.R.) so I think TimeShift has largely been panned by critics as 'average' because of this.

Granted, I'm a huge shooter fan (unlike most), I'll get it one of these days...but there's better stuff out there to get first, basically. ;)

Soulstorm

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 1, 2005
Granted, I'm a huge shooter fan (unlike most), I'll get it one of these days...but there's better stuff out there to get first, basically.

f.e.a.r. is a disaster on PS3. No solid framerate, no good graphics, and big load times. Horrible port. The letters seem too small, and it suffers from bad anti-aliasing.

Actually, I pre-ordered it but now amazon tells me that their supplier changed the supply dates, and I will be getting it in March! So, I cancelled the order. I will wait for Haze and UT3 to be released, and I will rent timeshift.

I just hope Haze is worth the wait...

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I just hope Haze is worth the wait...

I watched a big feature on HAZE the other day on GamerTV Extra. Can't say I was remotely impressed. It just screams of generic to me.

This was a near finished version and graphically it isn't striking, it's shocking, the amount of pop-in and draw in when in outside areas was appalling.

Vehicle sections seemed ridiculously broken and a complete copy of Halo, however your sidekick has to sit on the vehicle (quad bike) facing backwards and yet they can still manage to shoot enemies in front them ? I mean WTF is that supposed to be?

No despite the hype this is getting, I suspect we will see very average review scores for this game come January. Another one to add to the LAIR & Heavenly Sword piles.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.