Timespan before price drop on rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by munstre, Dec 23, 2012.

1. munstre macrumors newbie

Hello, I know this will be purely speculative, but I was curious if there is an average amount of time after the release of the MacBook lines before the first price drop?

I'm planning on getting a rMBP 15 after Christmas, this will be my first mac so I'm a bit unfamiliar with the timeline for each product release/updates. I'm hoarding Mac giftcards at the moment in order to upgrade as many options as possible, but if waiting until Feb meant potentially saving a couple hundred dollars I'd hold off until then.

Thanks!

2. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

The soonest Apple will (very doubtful) have a price drop for the retina will be when the 2nd generation comes out around mid 2013 (nobody knows for sure). You can look to purchase a refurb when they come out.

3. yinz macrumors 6502a

I can't wait until the 15" rMBP comes out in the refurbished store!!

It'll be an exciting time....

4. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

5. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Pretty much never. If you need it buy it now.

Next version might have a spec bump, but I'll bet $ it'll be the exact same price. And if you're waiting for the next spec bump, then you should wait for the next one, and the one after that, and..

----------

What's funny though? read on these boards about all the rMBP's returned for image retention and the like, you'd think the store would be full of them already.

6. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

Never really thought about that - you are correct - you would think they would have thousands available.

7. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

It is unusual (but it can happen) for Apple to drop the price of their Macs. Normally a new product is released with an updated spec at roughly the same price as the old model. You might get a discount from a 3rd Party vendor that happens to have some old stock when the model is updated. Or as others have suggested pick up an older model in the refurb store. However you have no way of knowing if an item in the refurb store is a new but unused older model or an item that someone has used and returned. Apple do throughly test any item sold in the refurb store and in many cases will replace the shell, so it looks like new, if it has been previously used.