Timestamp in Message App

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by KoG506, Oct 15, 2012.

1. KoG506 macrumors member

Im not sure if this has already been discussed..

I am confused why Apple won't put timestamp on every text. Why is that?

I am on iOS 6 4S

Yeah i Know i can get a free/buy app that supports that.

2. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

o_O I'm pretty sure you can't buy an app to integrate and replace your native messaging app. Anyway, it's because it treats it as a conversation. It depends on how long since the last message was sent or received.

3. WordMasterRice macrumors 6502a

It has been discussed, the only real resolution is that Apple thinks that they know better than the people who want this option.

4. KoG506 thread starter macrumors member

I meant, a third party app. not buy an app that will integrate timestamp in the native msg app.

So if enough people give apple feedback about timestamping every msg, they may reconsider?

5. big samm macrumors 65816

We've been complaining about this flaw for years, and still no fix, i have no hope this will be fixed any time soon...

6. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Don't count on it.

I wouldn't really consider it a "fix" when it's not something that's broken, it's just the way timestamps work.

7. TJ61 macrumors 6502a

Well, it's actually NOT the way timestamps work. It's how Apple decided to use them...occasionally.

Regards,
    Tom

8. WordMasterRice macrumors 6502a

I doubt it.

9. Zcott macrumors 68020

They're best used occasionally so it doesn't clutter up the message screen.

10. Mliii, Oct 15, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2012

Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

Perhaps, for YOU, they are 'best' that way.
    For others, it might be that the 'best' way to do it would be for the time stamp of each and every message would be visible- even with the clutter.
    And for me personally what would be 'best' would be having the option.
    What's clear is that Apple hasn't implemented it that way, that there have been suggestions to allow it as an option and those suggestions haven't been acted upon by Apple.

11. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

lol. What are you talking about?

timestamps don't clutter anything. Use any other messaging app like whatsapp and you can see how it's done correctly. Apple could simply hide them and reveal on a long press or press if need be.

I don't understand sporadic timestamps either. Does anyone know when Apple does put timestamps on? Every X# of messages? Every X amount of time passed?

12. LouieSamman macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

There are times that a timestamp for every message is useful to know what time that person exactly has sent it but I know they do have timestamps but I think it works with every hour.

Now that I think of it, when does the app know when to put a timestamp, is there a certain time between the first timestamp where it puts another one?

13. C DM macrumors Westmere

The Facebook Messenger app, which recently essentially adopted the look and feel of the Messages app, seems to have been able to pretty much incorporate the best of both worlds--in the conversation view they use "sporadic" timestamps throughout the conversation, but you can always click on any message individually to be taken to just that message specifically with more information related to it, like its exact timestamp, where it was sent from (web, app, etc.), location information, if that was shared (since Facebook Messenger supports it).

Seems like a fairly reasonable, straightforward, and more than likely pretty simple way of going about it.

That said, even simply having a timestamp next to each message in the conversation view wouldn't really clutter things up either.

14. TJ61 macrumors 6502a

And speaking of "best use"....

Is screen real estate best used when each message is crammed to one side or the other? Freeing up that 40% wasted space would leave plenty of room for more time stamps.

Regards,
    Tom

15. brylliant macrumors regular

brylliant

That's Apple for you. I guess it's because they want their app to be clean and stuff. They also treat it as a conversation.

I wish they had a setting for it in the Settings app. That would be a smart option to add it into the OS, if they dont want it to be there by default.

16. Zcott macrumors 68020

Apple don't do options.

This sort of switch toggles behaviour or viewing of something, but not turning on an off an actual feature like wifi or 3G. It took a lot of complaining on these forums and others to get Apple to put in toggle in settings turning the mute switch into a lock rotation switch or back.

17. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

It really is crazy that iOS doesn't have this yet.

If Apple REALLY thinks it's too cluttered, confusing or it provides too many options to the user, they should really think about how they could do it differently.

18. KoG506, Oct 18, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2012

KoG506 thread starter macrumors member

They should update it, they haven't update the message app? except the free messaging to ios devices... They could at do the timestamp update, the quick reply, and sending delay (in case you dont want to send the message anymore) like biteSMS... I miss using biteSMS.

I have 4S on iOS 6 so no jailbreak...

Now i have another question. Why biteSMS is not in the app store? does it violate Apple's app policy or something?

19. big samm macrumors 65816

Im sure they are using api's that's not granted by apple!

20. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

What is interesting, from what I hear, if you extract the SMS/iMessage from the device every message has a timestamp. The UI only shows it "sporadically".

21. Sine Qua Non macrumors member

That's correct, they are actually stored in the system files.

If you're jailbroken (why aren't you? It's 1 click on iOS 5.1.1) BiteSMS adds an option to timestamp every message.

22. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Because he's on iOS 6 and at the moment it's only a tethered jailbreak.

23. Sine Qua Non macrumors member

Now I see that part. Actually there is no jailbreak for his 4S. It's tethered for the iPhone 4 and 3GS (new bootrom).