Timex working with Apple on iPod watch?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Flowbee, Jun 19, 2007.

1. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

Yesterday I was sent a PowerPoint presentation that Timex is currently circulating to sporting goods retailers. Among a dozen or so new sports watch models, one called the i-Control features buttons that allow the wearer to wirelessly control an iPod's basic functions (play/pause, volume, track fwd/back). No mention of what kind of dongle is required, or if it's compatible with Nike+iPod... we'll just have to wait and see. It's supposed to ship in September with a suggested retail price of $120.

Of course, I'm still waiting for the rumored Nike+ watches that were supposed to ship in May. :rolleyes:

For those interested, a few more details are on my blog.

Attached Files:

2. nutmac macrumors 68040

3. likeavaliant macrumors regular

i have a feeling that this is just another third party accessory, rather than an 'iWatch'

and yes, that thing is god awful ugly.

4. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I am sure if Apple was working with Timex to create an "iWatch" it would look a little nicer than that.

Interesting idea though... :)

5. Flowbee thread starter macrumors 68030

Flowbee

It'll be interesting to see if this ever grows beyond simple iPod control into something more Nikeplus-like.

6. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

Sounds a bit sketchy, I don't think that one would want headphones connected to one's wrist, especially when working out! Cool idea but it just doesn't seem practical or mass marketable enough for Apple to produce.

7. Flowbee thread starter macrumors 68030

Flowbee

I think the idea is that the watch is a remote control for your ipod.

8. Mr. Amiga500 macrumors regular

Mr. Amiga500

I think far more interesting would be an iPhone watch. Now that's something to get excited about. Why carry a phone when you can have it on your wrist? Then someday we can have the "Video Chat iPhone" and science fiction will then be reality.

9. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Hah. I was think the same thing:) I wanted to photoshop something up, but didn't want to take the time to do it.

10. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

That is a rather interesting idea. I didn't think of that and it makes a little more sense, though im not sure how it would function. Maybe we'd see a function of syncing wireless control like we see with the Nintendo Wii and it's Wiimote for the Watch and the iPod! :)