Timing for a 13" MBP update

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by paolik, Oct 21, 2010.

1. paolik macrumors newbie

paolik

Hi,

at this point I understand that a reasonable timing for seeing new MacBook Pro models is April-June next year. However, it seems quite odd that the 13" model will remain in its present state until then. Who should buy it when compared to the 13" MacBook Air?

Do you guys believe there is any chance to see a retrofitted 13" MacBook Pro by the end of this year?

Thanks!
    Paolo

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Apple would have done it at the event if they wanted. This is similar to Mini vs iMac earlier this year, Mini gets 320M and iMac stays with 9400M

3. mchank macrumors regular

Doubtful that the Macbook Pro will get a refresh before the end of the year. You still get more with the 13" Pro (better CPU, hard drive capacity, more ram) and is a better all-rounder compared to the Air. The new Air is a gorgeous computer (I had the previous revision), but is more suited to frequent travelers who are constantly on the move.

4. paolik thread starter macrumors newbie

paolik

Thanks for your replies!

Well, the Air has 1440x900 as opposed to 1280x800 and 6MB cache as opposed to 3MB cache.

(I was dreaming of a i5 13" MacBook Pro to connect to a 27" display... without big compromises on performances.)

5. MrFusion macrumors 6502a

It's by no means sure that Apple will wait a few months before upgrading the MacBook Pro. Apple has been known to upgrade hardware within a few weeks after a keynote.

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Apple added option for 2.8GHz i7 in 15" and 17" MBP so at least I have no reason to believe that MBPs would be updated anytime soon. Apple would have saved that for later if they had planned an update for near future.

Besides, updating 13" now would mean that Sandy Bridge update is pushed back so 13" would be stuck with C2D.

Just my thoughts but can't see it happening anytime soon.

7. silentnite macrumors 6502a

silentnite

You may see a refresh on the 13" in the month of Nov. it would happen most likely on a Tuesday. If you don't see it by then it ain't happening until the New Year. like one member said apple is known to refresh a product quietly after a keynote address. The Macbook pro 13" being a big deal I'm not sure how quiet apple could keep that. Just be on the look out. :eek: