Timing for buying a Macbook.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by maverickem09, May 3, 2008.

  1. maverickem09 macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2008
    #1
    I know the buying guide on Macrumors says it's a good idea to buy, but i've heard/seen rumors that Apple will, very soon, have a huge overhaul of the Macbooks, with new aluminum and stainless steel cases, upgrades and the works. So, would it be worth it to wait until, say, late June or early August (I'll definitely need it by then to start college with) to buy a Macbook, or would it be prudent to go ahead and buy one now?
     
  2. urbanskywalker macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 30, 2007
    #2
    The standard response is "buy now as there is always something better around the corner" Having said that I find the current rumors confusing considering they were just updated. Quick updates have happened before.
     
  3. Aranince macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2007
    Location:
    California
    #3
    I'd wait till the end of June to be on the safe side. I think the Macbook update cycle is due this month or next month.
     
  4. Laco macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2008
    #4
    im no expert but i would guess that an update is far away....considering an update was only 67 days ago and updates happen ON AVERAGE ALMOST 200 days apart.

    the stuff about the aluminum/metal cases has been around for a long time now though for example in September of last year this was reported
    http://news.worldofapple.com/archives/2007/09/26/slim-aluminium-macbook/

    and the pictures that supposed leaked of the upcoming case update turned out to be faked.

    but if you won't start using it until school why not wait until then.
     
  5. nidserz macrumors 6502a

    nidserz

    Joined:
    Mar 28, 2008
    Location:
    Dubai x Toronto
    #5
    i would say to wait until the latest date possible. thats what i'm doing :)
    i have a great laptop in perfect working condition right now but looking forward to switching to a macbook come september so i will wait until then (at least june to hear about potential updates because all signs point to apple moving away from plastic to aluminum -- ipods, imacs, etc).

    its hard to wait but technology is always changing, wait until you can, if you want it now and can't wait go for it, but with Apple one can never know when the next update is!
     
  6. GUILTIE macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2008
    #6
    I'm waiting as long as I can, too, but I'm worried about getting the first generation of a new Macbook. It might have problems and stuff, but I don't want to wait for the second revision of the new Macbooks. Ahh what to do...?
     
  7. CWallace macrumors 603

    CWallace

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2007
    Location:
    Seattle, WA
    #7
    I would expect if anything is coming, it will come right before WWDC just as the Mac Pro update came just before Mac World and the new iMac update has preceded WWDC.

    As I noted in another thread, I do not expect Apple to do to the MB and MBP what they did with the iMac (overclock the frontside and memory buses) because that will shorten battery life (and could shorten component life since cooling is a bit trickier then in the iMac).

    Intel is running a bit late on releasing some (all?) of the new mobile Penryns for Montevina due to a lack of fab capacity (only one 45nm fab is up when they expected to have two by now), so that might also push Apple's announcement back if they planned to have Montevina systemboards in the new MB/MBPs. If Apple decides not to put a discrete GPU in the MacBook, the integrated GMA X4500 GPU that Montevina will bring would be beneficial.

    I'm in the same boat, myself. Personally, I am fine with the current Santa Rosa MBPs in terms of capability, but I'm interested to see what the new form factors bring (if true), so I am waiting, though I will have to commit and buy by mid-July, most likely.
     
  8. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2006
    #8
    I'm heavily thinking about buying a macbook as well the 2.4Ghz model (IMO its a bad ass deal for what you get). But I am a bit concerned with newer rev models/redeisng of the macbooks as it might have problems (remember the random shutdown problems due to the heatsinks on the first macbooks?).

    I'm debating heavily right now about exchanging my 17" mbp (I love it to death but at times the cost crosses my mind and I lose partial sleep over because $3k laptop could have easily bought me a mac pro 8 core machine again! and as a macbook would do me fine). I already own a 23" ACD and about 75% of the time I'm glued to my desk anyway.. so thinking about saving myself about $1600 by exchanging to the macbook. I dont game at all and only use leopard for mail, heavy webbrowsing, ichat, word, d/ling 20gb + files, and moving around 10gb files at a time (fw 400 is slower than 800 but not a huge difference).
     
  9. ScottFitz macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2007
    #9
    It's always a crapshoot buying a new mac of any kind. Updates are pretty regular, so I guess the best time to buy if right after an update. I'm with the poster above on first generation redesigns. I just don't trust them. You can point to the Macbook Air and some growing pains they are having. Or the first aluminum iMacs and their growing pains.

    The 2.4 ghz Macbook (white or black) look to be the best bang/buck of the Apple lineup. (especially the white one) That $200 upcharge for black plastic and a bit more hd room is excessive in my mind.
     
  10. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2006
    #10
    Yes, I agree that the blackbook $200 price tag is too much.. I change out the hdd to a much better one that I own anyways so I'd just be paying $200 for the color black.
     
  11. ScottFitz macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2007
    #11
    Yep, but that being said, the black looks tight! So people pay it. :)
     
  12. leekohler macrumors G5

    leekohler

    Joined:
    Dec 22, 2004
    Location:
    Chicago, Illinois
    #12
    I know I love mine. :) It's worth it in my opinion just to not have to worry about scratches.
     
  13. MikeFoden macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 4, 2008
    #13
    If it makes you feel any better I am in the similar situation at the moment.

    It is just a matter of whether you feel comfortable with your decision to buy now and not wait.

    How much do you need it now? Do you feel like you can hold off using what you currently have until we find out what is happening with the new models in June hopefully? I myself cannot and I am buying my MacBook Pro on Friday :)
     
  14. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2006
    #14
    Black does look cool but I remember the first macbook back in 06 with the core duo model that my friend bought (brand new) the trackpad would be left greasy and has the nasty look after I've played with it for half an hour (which I washed my hands before using because my friend was anal about his new lappy).
     
  15. dino0829 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2008
    #15
    Similar situation

    Hey gang,
    Good thread. Here's the question: Please pick one: 1) Blackbook Santa Rosa (2.2/160gb) on closeout @ MacMall, 2) Blackbook Penryn (2.4) refurb @ Apple, or 3) wait and see.
    I know it's mostly cosmetic, but hey, what can I say? I like the black. The refurb is obviously more, like $200 after sales tax.
    Anybody out there ever try both, black and white? Preference?
    Thanks
     
  16. leekohler macrumors G5

    leekohler

    Joined:
    Dec 22, 2004
    Location:
    Chicago, Illinois
    #16
    I had an iBook before my BlackBook and the biggest difference for me is not worrying about scratching so much. Some people will tell you that the black one gets fingerprint smudging, but that hasn't been my experience. I just wash my hands before I use it and it's fine. I clean it once a week with iKlear and it looks perfect. Really, that's about the only difference (other than the larger hard drive) and the fact that this thing is a million times faster than my old iBook G4.
     
  17. maverickem09 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2008
    #17
    Thanks!

    Well I don't necessarily need it right now... But my computer that i currently have is about 4 years old and definitely going down the drain (plus it's Windows), so it'd be nice to get one now. However, with all the Montevina rumors and updates going around I think i'm going to make it last until mid-July and get it then to give me some time to get used to the new operating system and programs. :) Oh, and btw, I am getting the white 2.4 Ghz model. Definitely the best value.
    P.S. I know this will be a ridiculously stupid question, but what about video cards in the Macbooks?
     
  18. leekohler macrumors G5

    leekohler

    Joined:
    Dec 22, 2004
    Location:
    Chicago, Illinois
    #18
    Unfortunately, there will never be a dedicated video card in a MacBook. Apple has already indicated by what they've done so far that they intend to keep using integrated graphics.
     
  19. MikeFoden macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 4, 2008
    #19
    Well I assume that is why they have MacBook Pro's... that is the primary difference I see between the MacBook and the MacBook Pro.

    The MacBook Pro is designed to have a powerful video card on purpose :p
     
  20. EmptyCalm macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 24, 2008
    Location:
    earth
    #20
    Hey I'm in the same boat too.

    I'm thinking about buying the 2.4ghz black MacBook soon. Even though the new updates and rumors sound tempting I might be the only one but I don't like how the aluminum looks..and if that's the big change in the MacBook then I guess I'll pass. I mean nothing in life is guaranteed, so I'm not a big fan of waiting.
     
  21. krye macrumors 68000

    krye

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2007
    Location:
    USA
    #21
    Well, you said it yourself. You don't want rev 1 of the "new MacBook" anyway. So buy now, and eBay it when the 2nd revision of this supposed new MacBook comes out.

    I'm doing that with mine now. I'm holding onto my 1st gen MacBook until the MacBook Air hits at least 2.0GHz/120G hdd. When the Air hits it's 2nd rev, I'll eBay my MacBook and buy the new machine.
     

Share This Page