timing on 'option' key press when booting into windows

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by tasty-the-dog, Jul 7, 2012.

1. tasty-the-dog macrumors newbie

I have a 2011 iMac and I want to boot into Windows 7 the 'restart and hold option' way. Was using bootchamp but if I use that then screen is at full brightness and unadjustable. It can get painful and makes the computer run hotter. The problem is I can't figure out when specifically to press and hold the option key on the wireless keyboard when restarting into the 'choose your OS' menu. My success rate is maybe 10%-- I've done it twice I think, the rest of the time I somehow miss the timing or press it before the keyboard syncs or I don't know what. Anybody who boots this way care to share when they actually press the option key? Like how many seconds after or before the Apple Chord plays? Or is there an easier way to get into Windows with the brightness controls working? It shouldn't be this hard.

Thanks!

2. Ricky Smith macrumors regular

I hit it as soon as I power it on. I believe it's right after the chime you need to get it in by.

3. VTECaddict macrumors 6502

I do it right after I press the power button (or after the screen turns off if rebooting and not starting cold). Just press and hold until you get the boot selection screen.

4. avro707 macrumors 6502a

You can also try Bootpicker, it is a very useful alternative solution to holding down the option key. It runs just before the login screen and presents you with choices of the operating systems you have on the machine. You click the one you want and the computer restarts into that OS.

If you are already logged in to Mac OS X, just choose logout and it gives you the bootpicker window.

Get Bootpicker: http://www.apple.com/au/education/resources/bootpicker/

5. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

That's also what I do and this method always works.

6. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

I have to speak in latin for it to work. I've never found a reliable way with a Bluetooth keyboard.