Timing refurb order with Time Capsule

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jrrjbl, Feb 2, 2008.

1. jrrjbl macrumors newbie

Ok I am going to get 2- 20"2.4 IMac's refurbed. They go fast but just replacing PC's that sort of work. Then the TC announcement.

Coming from PC world the idea of doing two network setups is next to having a tooth pulled. I can use my old Linksys to DSL pieces and existing Ethernet connections. Then switch again for TC and maybe even try wireless. I don't want too sit with 2 expensive boxes, unpacked, waiting for another piece ie TC to arrive.

How easy is an IMac to hookup really to this existing network?
    How easy it then to change and hook up to the TC?
    Assume can't use Time Machine without an external hard drive?

Lovely Apple Store chatline person said just buy an Iomega HD until you get TC. "bye" then hit exit

Thanks

2. jrrjbl thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry thought this was a straight forward set of questions and hopefully not dumb. :eek:

Simply how easy is a Mac to set up for router to internet access?
    Are there any issues if you have to change to a new router [time capsule which I ordered today]?

I spent several hours again today search various forums for info with no joy.
    Thanks

3. alfonsog macrumors 6502

alfonsog

it just works, you probably won't have to do anything for any of those situations but plug in the ethernet cable or turn on airport...

4. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

You're not getting any responses because noone's hooked anything up to TimeCapsule yet..

As far as hooking up Macs to existing routers it's very easy- pretty much does it for you.. You'll have no troubles with it..

When did they say your TC would ship? I'm intrigued by TC myself..

5. jrrjbl thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks folks

Understand no one has TC but I was also asking about the Ethernet to existing Linksys. I remember that being a pain when I first did it. Just not sure how easy it is with Mac.

If the above is simple than I would hope replacing with TC wouldn't be any harder.

TC is perfect for someone like me who doesn't or want to work ever again, just a little teaching to stay busy. One brand, one point of contact for issues. Auto back up and partitioned for storage as well. Only issue is what happens to router if HD fails.

Time Capsule, per the order confirmation, ships by Feb 29th. Just checked it is a leap year. :D

6. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I've used my Macs with various ethernet routers - so far it's been a case of plug in the ethernet cable and start working... :) particularly if the router is already set up. Otherwise, you have the extra step of opening Safari and setting it up.

7. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I would really be surprised if you had any issues at all hooking your mac up.. I've changed internet providers 3 times and have NEVER had an issue.. I mean, literally NEVER.. It does it for you.. It will probably ask you which network you want to connect to, since you already have yours set-up, but I think you're going to find that your Mac will do everything for you..

8. jrrjbl thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks all
    Seems like my decision to move away from PC's after 24 years is the right one. My post retirement goal was not to continue in my present ad hoc system admin role.

I am looking for to my new found intuitive environment.