Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rsdotscot

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 10, 2006
Scotland
Hi folks,

I've installed Xcode with the purpose of tinkering in Objective C and Swift, but much to my chagrin I find I can't even run a copy of my project locally without a signing identity, meaning I need to be enrolled in an Apple developer program at a cost of at least $99/year.

Given that this is largely for my own personal amusement and not in any way a serious effort to get into app development (I wish I had the time to dedicate to such an endeavour), is there any way I can go about this without forking out an annual fee which in all likeliness will be worthless to me?

Cheers,
Rab

----------

This should probably be in the other forum (the one specific to iOS dev) but it appears that the same would apply to Mac app development.

Red Menace

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2011
Colorado, USA
For iOS, you can run apps in the simulator, but to put anything on an iOS device you will need to pay for a developer account.

You don't necessarily need to be in a paid program to develop for OS X.

rsdotscot

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 10, 2006
Scotland
For iOS, you can run apps in the simulator, but to put anything on an iOS device you will need to pay for a developer account.

You don't necessarily need to be in a paid program to develop for OS X.

That's not what I'm finding with the latest version of Xcode. It's looking for a signing identity whenever I hit the run button and stopping the operation when it doesn't find one.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
That's not what I'm finding with the latest version of Xcode. It's looking for a signing identity whenever I hit the run button and stopping the operation when it doesn't find one.

Check all your Build settings and turn off code-signing. Building for and running on the Simulator in Xcode 6.1.1 doesn't require any signing identities or certificates.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.