Tiny connector near fan broke off logic board

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fl89, Jul 29, 2013.

1. fl89 macrumors newbie

fl89

Hey guys,

I was putting my MacBook Pro Early 2011 back together when this really small connector on top of the center/right fan came off. The pins are still on the logic board as you can see from this photos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Its the cable that comes from below the logic board in front of the fan. http://d3nevzfk7ii3be.cloudfront.net/igi/JVFKPCLomuCDKxU1.huge

What is this connector good for?

I see only 2 connections on the ribbon cable. They are each making contact with 3 pins in the connector (6 overall) and 2 pins on the logic board (4 overall). Can I just solder the left connection of the ribbon cable to the left 2 pins and the right one to the right 2 pins on the logic board?

2. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

thats the key board backlight connector. You could try soldering it once you do find the pin out schematic for it.

3. fl89 thread starter macrumors newbie

fl89

I used the continuity tester and found out how it needs to be wired. My plan is to solder 2 cables between connector and logic board.

The problem is the soldering process. The pins (residues from the connector) on the logic board came off and there are just really really small contacts left.

I used a small tip, flux and cleaned it with isopropyl alcohol. Still I didnt manage to make a good contact. :(

Maybe Ill order a new connector ... not sure if that will help with the soldering part....

4. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

i have 0 knowledge about soldering:( but i guess it can be possible a friend of mine had ripped a connector(webcam) and managed to successfully solder a new connector after hunting alot in the market.
    All the best and do let us know how it goes.

5. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

lol I replaced my 0402 sized backlight fuse with a $20 soldering iron with a 1mm tip. I feel your pain....

Also you might want to ask around on the forum about the connector style. Might be able to find someone who know more than I do about the connectors. Also worth getting a schematic of your computer, I've seen a few posted about the forums!
    Good luck!

6. fl89 thread starter macrumors newbie

fl89

Ok, I gave up. Ripped off the pcb trace. :cool:
    Just dont have enough experience in soldering SMD. Maybe in a few months (and 100 hours of soldering practice) I will try it again with a new connector. Soldering it directly to the resistors could be an easier task.
    Offtopic: The white fibres are from the paper towel I used to clean the board. Theyre invisible to naked eye.... :eek:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

I must say these might be the best pics I have ever seen from someone asking logic board help... What are you using?!?!

8. fl89 thread starter macrumors newbie

fl89

Reverse mounting adapter with a 35mm lens on a Nikon D90.

The pics arent that great, focus wrong, low light, no tripod used. My first time using that reverse adapter. :eek: