Tiny crack in brand new iPhone 3GS. Will Apple replace it?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mrat93, Jul 24, 2009.

1. mrat93 macrumors 65816

mrat93

I bought my iPhone 3GS two days ago at my local Apple store at the early upgrade price of $499. I NEVER dropped any of my iPhones since the day the first one came out. I was shocked to see when I pulled the phone out of my pocket to see a tiny, triangular shaped crack towards the top-left corner of the glass. I know physical damage is not covered under the warranty. Seeing as it's only two days old and I couldn't have possibly done this, do you think Apple will replace it? Thanks!

2. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

Where did you buy it? Apple is probably a safer bet than AT&T regardless of where you got it.. just a guess.

3. mrat93 thread starter macrumors 65816

mrat93

I bought it at my local Apple store.

4. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

WOW!!! That REALLY sucks! I would cry at the genius bar. But i would go ASAP. The longer you wait, the slimmer the chances they will replace it. And trust me, you literally can not afford for your chances to get any slimmer than they already are!

5. lavinci macrumors 6502

They would probably treat it as physical damage since you probably applied some abnormal pressure to that part of the phone. It doesn't hurt to try to ask a Genius depending on who you get.

6. mrat93 thread starter macrumors 65816

mrat93

The genius thought that my phone had more of a deep scratch than a crack, so she called over a manager so he could make the call whether I should get a replacement or not. He decided in my favor and the genius replaced the screen on the spot!

7. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Glad you got a new screen; but how long did it take and have you noticed any difference in the way your iPhone responds to touch?

8. mrat93 thread starter macrumors 65816

mrat93

It took between 5-10 minutes. It seems exactly the same usage-wise.

9. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

That's totally cool; just hope it doesn't happen to me.....:eek: