Tiny dent on rMBP. How can I fix it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by supernet33, Sep 30, 2014.

1. supernet33 macrumors regular

So stupid ass me, dropped my iPhone 6 on the corner of my rMBP and it did a tiny damage to it.. How can I fix it?
    My iPhone 6 has a tiny dent on the bottom of it as well, the same size of the dent on the MBP. Since it is on the bottom of the iPhone it isn't as bad as the rMBP, only if you look for it.

Attached Files:

2. xzacm102 macrumors newbie

Would like to know also if there is some touch up paint that is similar to rMBP color finish

3. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

4. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

First world problem.

5. ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

Doesn't seem too bad. Just ignore it, and move on. ;)

6. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Short of sanding it down.

Short of using a little emery paper to sand it down until it is smooth there is pretty much nothing you can do that won't make it look worse....

7. supernet33 thread starter macrumors regular

Would that really work?

8. leman macrumors 604

It might also damage the protective coating on the aluminium around the area, making it much worse. Who knows. I'd leave it. Its battle scars :D

9. ano0oj macrumors 6502

leave it alone...any work you try on it will lead to the surrounding aluminum finish to dull out or scratched

10. STVA macrumors newbie

It hurts but just suck it up and move on. It's a battle scar. It's just like the first scratch or dent on a car you bought new.

11. Lachhh macrumors regular

@OP: No fix that I can think of, I'd roll with ignoring it and moving on. I like the battle scar idea. :cool:

[​IMG]So is a lot of what is being discussed here on MR and on the internet in general.
    Guess all of us need to shut up then unless our problem involves drowning in a refugee boat. :rolleyes:

12. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

I am sad you have no sense of humour. Guess just telling the OP to ignore it and move on is so much better....

13. Merode macrumors 6502

Merode

I have the same dent but I've hit drawer knob with my rMBP.
    I've just ignored it as it's very, very small dent.

14. Lachhh macrumors regular

Humor? As if that tired little trope is even still remotely funny.
    Better? At least it's marginally on topic, which is more than I can say for your driveby meme which would make just about as much (or little) sense when posted to almost any other message board topic on the entire internet.

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

OP, I'd live with it. Any attempt to fix it, may make it worse.

16. jmgregory1 macrumors 65816

jmgregory1

Chicago and a few other places around the world
    If you tape around the area unaffected by the small dent, then carefully use an emery board to soften the rough edge, you can at least get rid of the nicked feel. There probably is an automotive paint that would be close in color, that you could use to touch up the unpainted area, but then to get that not to stick out like a sore thumb, you'd have to do some sanding again.

So after writing all this, I'd confer with everyone else. Just leave it. Or find something to cover it up - a vinyl wrap could do that - but you'd definitely want to smooth out the nick first.