Tiny FoV w/ Camcorder?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Juan007, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Juan007 macrumors 6502a

Juan007

Overall I'm impressed with the quality of the camcorder, but there's one major thing that they screwed up here. Go to still capture mode and look at the field of view. Then switch to movie record and watch the field of view shrink. To maybe 1/2 the size.

The entire area of the image sensor is not being used for movie capture. Does Apple plan to fix this in a later release? It's a pretty big problem IMHO.

2. diabolic macrumors 68000

Not a problem. Double tap the screen in video record mode. It will zoom out to the same FOV as the still camera.

3. Juan007 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Juan007

Ah nice, thanks!

Sorry I doubted you Apple :)

4. diabolic macrumors 68000

Sorry, I was wrong, it doesn't zoom out far enough. Very weird.

I wonder if it has something to do with pixel count in the 720p video being less than the still images.

5. Juan007 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Juan007

Also it doesn't record in the zoomed-out mode, it just shows the extra area in preview.

Try going to record and tapping zoom in / zoom out while recording. Then look at the clip and all you've recorded is the zoomed image.

Strange design choice. Hope a fix is coming.

Usually on CMOS sensors you can use binning (basically combining a group of pixels into one average) to get readout down to 1280x720 even if the sensor array is much larger.