Tiny 'instant boot' OS for Macbook Pro nvidia, Moblin?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TK2K, Aug 6, 2009.

1. TK2K macrumors 6502

TK2K

Hey,
    I'm looking for a small instant on OS to run in addition to the standard OS X system for my macbook pro nvidia chipset (gen before existance of 13")

Any suggestions? Lightweight browsing, twitter, little things like that. Honestly moblin would be perfect but I don't think there are drivers yet really.

2. DAMNiatx macrumors 6502a

DAMNiatx

did you try to install moblin on it ?
    i'm still download moblin, and going to install it native(without vmware)

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

One advantage that OSX has is that it does not need to be rebooted as much like windows.

To that end, I reboot my computer rarely (only when apple pushes updates to me) and because of that, I don't notice, nor do I care about start up times.

4. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

That is an old tale. It's the same behavior in windows. Reboot is only necessary for some updates.

5. yegon macrumors 68020

Hmm, I dunno. Vista/Windows 7, which I've no experience of, will probably have improved matters, but XP benefits greatly from frequent reboots.

6. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Let us know how that goes, since Moblin doesn't support anything other than Intel graphics at this point. I'm genuinely interested.

Call me pessimistic, but I don't think Moblin or any other Linux distribution is really going to be "instant-on" or close to it. Your best bet is probably just to speed up how OS X boots, with a faster hard drive or SSD.

7. DAMNiatx macrumors 6502a

DAMNiatx

8. TK2K thread starter macrumors 6502

TK2K

It does boot, it just has to use software rendering for graphics so it kinda blows...
    anything with an intel graphics chipset it's golden on though. Wifi doesn't work on white macbooks tho