Tiny Speakers that fit under desk?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by HudsonsHalfHour, May 19, 2009.

1. HudsonsHalfHour macrumors member

Space is limited on my desk and I wanted to beef up the sound from the puny Mac Mini without having two big speakers and a subwoofer under the desk.

Are there any micro speakers, like tweeters in size, that can be fitted underneath or attached to the edge of the table/desk that produce a decent sound?

ps, is it just the last generation Mac Mini, or do the new ones have terrible speakers?

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Your ears are not under the table. There are plenty of speakers that fit on top of your table. Perhaps you want to look into shelves?

3. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

lol :D Sorry, couldn't help laughing at that.

To the OP, have you maybe looked at Harmon Kardon Soundsticks? They've a small footprint on your desk (with Sub under the desk) and they produce a good sound.

4. emaja macrumors 68000

Minis do not have any speakers, so you will have to provide your own.

I agree that almost anything mounted under the desk will provide very poor sound. You will lose almost any highs and they will sound very muddy.

Do you have ANY other options?

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The mini has a mono speaker and that's it.

As with speakers that hide, well can I suggest headphones?

6. HudsonsHalfHour thread starter macrumors member

only to buy a bigger desk :p i've had to chuck the mini under the desk to make room so I wanted to find a way to keep speaker footprints as small as possible. maybe I can buy stick on shelves, I know anthro does one but it's probably only compatible with their stuff.

7. HudsonsHalfHour thread starter macrumors member

actually, my ears are almost at that level cos my desk is in line with the sofa height where I lie and use the mini. (don't start on the ergonomic pitfalls of that arrangement!) It's adjusted to 22 inches in height right now so speakers underneath but right at the edge of either side would not be as epic a fail as you seem to suggest ;)

8. HudsonsHalfHour thread starter macrumors member

know any good wireless ones? how would I hear my mother calling 'dinners ready?'

9. marksandvig macrumors regular

One time I didnt have enough room like you and the speakers kept falling off the desk.. I installed them directly into my desk.. it was pretty sweet.. although not very practical.

10. rikers_mailbox macrumors 6502a

check out M-Audio AV30 speakers. They are small-ish and sound fantastic. Way better bang-for-the-buck than purchasing Bose or HK.

I'm not connected with M-Audio, just a consumer with good taste. :cool:

11. HudsonsHalfHour thread starter macrumors member

now we're talking! they must have been pretty small to fit into a recess in your desk but a great idea nonetheless. shame i've only got a 1.5 inch thick desktop to work with and no carpentry skills.

12. Shownarou macrumors regular

You had to throw the mini under the desk for room? How small are we talking here? :eek:

13. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Some iPod speakers have audio input, if you are looking for small speakers.

Logitech make some decent ones (for the size).
    http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/speakers_audio/ipod_mp3_speakers/&cl=us,en

Otherwise computer speakers would do fine.

But seriously, maybe bookshelves would help. You can get 2 cheap ones, one on each side, for like $20 each at office supply store.

Sorry, I didn't know I am talking to mini-me, or bat-boy (hanging upside down)

=p

14. marksandvig macrumors regular

My desk was pretty thick at 3" but it was still hard to fit.. I just used some cheap speakers that would give me better sound than my macbook.. Ive always wanted to do it again with a subwoofer tho.. it looked pretty cool.