TINY workspace for 24" iMac?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Gelfin, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

I didn't want to hijack the "L-shaped Desk" thread, but it gave me the notion to post here and look for a solution.

I'm considering getting an iMac for home, but the area I have available for a workspace is very small. It's a corner with 24" or so clearance on each side. I have considered something as minimalist as a VESA-mount swingarm for the iMac and a shelf for the keyboard and mouse, but I think that might be too minimalist.

Anybody seen something that would work for this sort of application? There does not appear to be much of a market for very small desks from what I've been able to find, and I've been actively looking both online and IRL for about a week. Closest I've found is this, but it's 30" wide and I just can't make it fit.

2. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

I don't know how handy you are (I'm guessing insanely) but you could always pick up something at Ikea and modify it, a la Ikea hacker.

3. Gelfin thread starter macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Oh, I can certainly improvise. I've been trying to avoid that a little mostly due to living in an apartment without a good place to run power tools, so I don't currently own much more than a drill. I found a couple of links to Ikea hacker in my research, but mostly stuff that both starts and ends too big for my purposes.

Now that you mention, though, this looks rather promising. I'd have to do slightly more drastic surgery to get that 30" shelf down to 24, though. If I go that way I'll likely forego the side rails and just bracket the thing properly to the wall.

4. michaelsaxon macrumors 6502

Ikea has some clean-looking but small choices.