TINY7 on the macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jdhatt, Jul 2, 2010.

1. jdhatt macrumors regular

anyone try out tiny7 on their macbook yet? i was wondering if tiny7 is as good as a retail windows 7 for gaming? anyone try both? is it just as smooth? is it good in general if not by comparison for gaming? im debating whether or not its worth it to shell out for windows 7 or just use tiny7 if it does the job with the same quality. ALSO can i use an OEM windows 7 on the macbook pro or does it have to be a full retail version? whats the difference in performance between the two? AND LASTLY, for a 4gb ram is it better to stick with 32-bit or 64-bit windows 7? and to thsoe of you who may bash me for putting windows on there, it is solely for gaming purposes, im putting 100gb aside for gaming as thats all, OS X for ALL other operations haha :p. thanks to anyone who can answer some or all of these questions.

2. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

tiny7 = unofficial = illegal
    win7 = official = legal

3. jdhatt thread starter macrumors regular

yes im well aware of that i mean in terms of gaming performance.....and im askin the difference between OEM and retail aswell

4. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

I think there is no difference between those 2. It's just a marketing difference.

5. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

I've always used the Tiny line when I used bootcamp. TinyXP was great, Tiny Vista wasn't bad but I love Tiny7. I haven't installed it on a bootcamp system but I have it on two other older PC's and it flies. Do note it's a 32bit OS only though if that matters but it's super fast. In terms of gaming, not sure, it might help a little since there's less crap running. Just get the latest nvidia drivers and you should be good to go.

6. jdhatt thread starter macrumors regular

whats the best for 4gb ram 32-bit or 64-bit? and so should i expect the same gaming performance from 32-bit tiny7 as 32-bit windows 7?

7. megamanbnmaster macrumors 6502

32bit can't read more than 3.25 gigs of memory. 4 gig should use 64bit.

8. jdhatt thread starter macrumors regular

but will the 64-bit run smooth with just 4gb since it usually reads alot more like 6 or 8?

9. megamanbnmaster macrumors 6502

I'm not familiar with tiny7 but I've been running Windows 7 Ultimate Signature Edition 64bit with my old iMac 4gb of ram and it hasn't had any trouble. Heavy usage in my uses maxes out at around 2.5 gigs of ram.

10. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

I dont think that a 64bit OS needs more ram as a 32

11. jdhatt thread starter macrumors regular

oh really :s i always thought that more ram would allow it to run smoother since it can handle so much

12. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

I noticed no difference in behavior of windows 7 64 bit and snow leopard when I upgraded from 2 to 4 gb of memory.
    I mostly just code, compile, surf, write text docs, ssh, etc... So nothing too intensive anyways, but nonetheless, I could not tell a difference.

13. jdhatt thread starter macrumors regular

hmmm....ill probably go 64-bit then as it will allow me to upgrade my memory if i need to in the future.