Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mmd1080

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
Boston, MA
tinyCalc is now available!
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tinycalc/id919006147?mt=8

What sets our widget apart are two things:
- minimalistic design that won't clutter your notification center
- ability to customize the Magic Buttons to use any scientific calculator function

And the app isn't too shabby either... Below you'll find the full description. Thanks!

tinyCalc is a custom calculator app & widget for iPhone and iPad. Full-featured, yet simple.

You will love how comfortable it is to use with one hand, including on iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus!

Widgets should be compact, but comfortable to use. The tinyCalc widget was designed with this in mind.

The tinyCalc app allows you to see all of your functions- no need to rotate your phone to get to everything, and the minimalistic design lets you focus on what matters.

Work in the app or in the widget- whatever you do syncs between the two. You can even customize the buttons, so, from students to professionals, tinyCalc is the calculator for everybody.

Features:

- widget, exclusively on iOS 8, works without even unlocking your device
- all standard scientific calculator functions
- customizable buttons, including the Magic Buttons
- move functions to the Magic Buttons and they appear there in the widget as well
- looks great on the new iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- open app from anywhere by tapping the top area of the widget
- copy/paste the currently typed number in the app
- settings include degree/radian modes and optional animations

Please note: tinyCalc is a simple, single-step/immediate execution calculator. You will have to keep this in mind to preserve order of operations (ex. 1+2*3 = 9, but 3*2+1 = 7). The one exception is the '%' function, which allows for tip calculation (ex. 100 + 20% = 120). We are considering adding an option for formula calculation in the future!

DiNiCo is an independent software company in Boston, MA, USA. Follow us on Twitter at @tinyCalc, and let us know if you have questions or concerns! Thanks for downloading our app!

2Mrg6k8.jpg
X02lPmj.jpg
7EsMbVD.jpg

Last edited:

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
It looks nice, but I can't figure out how to change the buttons.

EDIT: Got it, you go into settings, and the buttons start flashing, you click on the one you want to change, and then the shortcut you want. Cool.

I personally think two shortcuts are not enough though, hahaha.

Last edited:

mmd1080

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
Boston, MA
It looks nice, but I can't figure out how to change the buttons.

EDIT: Got it, you go into settings, and the buttons start flashing, you click on the one you want to change, and then the shortcut you want. Cool.

I personally think two shortcuts are not enough though, hahaha.

Glad you got it, but still really useful to know that it wasn't obvious to you! Were you thinking you would be able to do it directly in the widget? Or did you just not notice the "settings" button at first? Would love to come up with a foolproof method of making sure everyone "gets it" right away.

I agree about more shortcuts! I'm thinking about it for an update. For 1.0, my main goal was making sure it was usable on iPhone 4s, because iOS 8 still made it to that now teeny-tiny phone. There are some other widgets out right now that take up the whole screen even on 5/5s!

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Aww, that's very thoughtful!

I was trying to just drag and drop the buttons to the blue section. You know how the homescreen wiggles? I thought it would change to red or something if I held down for a few seconds.

I noticed the settings page, I just didn't see the boxes blinking at first.

Thanks for the considering adding more shortcuts. You never know what you're going to use a calculator for! It's why I have numerous ones that all do things differently.

mmd1080

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
Boston, MA
I was trying to just drag and drop the buttons to the blue section. You know how the homescreen wiggles? I thought it would change to red or something if I held down for a few seconds.

This could be complicated but might be doable. It's a great idea!

mmd1080

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
Boston, MA
Just submitted update 1.0.1

Just submitted update 1.0.1

- What's New in This Version:
- Fixed "+/-" button behavior
- Quick bug fixes regarding number displaying (out of place commas, leading zeros)

Features planned for future updates:

- Long press to edit (tried to add it already but it didn't make it!)
- Option for more Magic Buttons
- Option to move number pad to bottom of app to be easier to do basic calculations one-handed on iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Color options

Very interested in other suggestions anyone has, or if anyone has found any issues I haven't seen yet.

Thanks!

mmd1080

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
Boston, MA
I found one bug. Sometimes the widget will load out of place and you can only see some of it on the bottom right. But I can't replicate it.

But thanks! Will keep a look out for the update.

A friend also pointed this out. For a quick fix, you can close and reopen notification center. The bug occurs if you've recently switched between portrait and landscape mode. Permanent fix coming soon, sorry for the inconvenience!

mmd1080

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
Boston, MA
tinyCalc 1.0.1 is now live- update to squash some bugs, and leave a kind review if you are a fan!

mmd1080

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
Boston, MA
tinyCalc 1.1 is available today! Adds a great new feature- change the location of the numpad in the app! Moving the numpad to the bottom makes tinyCalc more like traditional calculators, if that's what you're into.. Thanks for checking it out!

Tgqj9KS.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.