TinyUmbrella questions

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by flatlined, Mar 27, 2011.

1. flatlined macrumors member

Before I updated to 4.3.1 I downloaded TinyUmbrella to save my SHSH in case I had issues with 4.3.1. I thought it would only save 4.3's SHSH but it seems to have saved all the other SHSH that were on my phone from OS updates. I was wondering if this is correct and if so could I downgrade to an older OS like 4.2 even if I never Jailbroken my iPhone?

Thanks

2. jvmxtra macrumors 65816

jvmxtra

Even if you never JB, you will be able to downgrade as long as your blob was saved in time and your itune is pointed to right server instead of apple.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, you can downgrade to any firmware version you have shsh blobs for. You can go up or down whenever you want.
    TU is great.

4. drummr macrumors regular

Not to threadjack, but is TU supposed to give your SHSH to cydia and have it show up at the top of the home page of cydia?

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes it saves available shsh blobs on both cydias server and downloads a copy on your hard drive too.

6. drummr macrumors regular

Does it take forever for them to show up in cydia? I saved my SHSH blobs in TU about 2 months ago and it still only shows 4.2.1 in cydia, but I've got 4.2.1 through 4.3.1 (including betas) saved in TU.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes sometimes it does. Even though they're saved they don't display up there when you open cydia.
    But as long as TU says you got them you're good.

8. drummr macrumors regular

Okay thanks

9. flatlined thread starter macrumors member

So even though I Never saved my SHSH before and ran TinyUmbrella for the first time and it saved all my other OS SHSH, from when I first got my iPhone including the one I was on at the time, I can go back to which ever OS with the SHSH's it got?

I guess I thought once you did the update they killed off the SHSH in your phone, but if I'm looking at it I guess not?

Thanks

10. himni macrumors regular

TU doesn't pull the SHSH off the iPhone it pulls them from Cydia (Saurik's Servers) or the Apple servers if you have that option selected which I do not recommend. Cydia requests them from the Apple servers and saves them for future use. If you can't get them from Cydia you can never get them again unless Apple starts signing them again. TU will list all the SHSH blobs it got and you can install only those iOS versions that it got.

11. flatlined thread starter macrumors member

I have to check my options, but I never jailbroke my iPhone os would that mean those SHSH ot pulled are from Apples?

12. bripab007 macrumors 6502

All SHSH files are pulled from Apple's servers and then stored/cached either on Cydia's servers and/or your own HDD, by way of TinyUmbrella. That's why people talk about a window in which you can retrieve your SHSH files from Apple's servers and save them off somewhere; once they upgrade to a new firmware, the window for the previous firmware closes, and if you don't have them saved somewhere, you'll not be able to restore back to that particular version.

To address the other statement you made: you absolutely do not have to be jailbroken to save/store/cache your SHSH files somewhere. When you launch TinyUmbrella and click Save SHSH, by default, it'll send your SHSH requests to Cydia and also pull down a copy on your local machine. Similarly, the first time you run Cydia after jailbreaking your phone, you're asked whether or not you want to save all future SHSH files on Cydia's servers. I like TinyUmbrella, as it puts both a copy on Cydia as well as on your local machine.