Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

james92se

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
Dallas, TX
I'm trying to update to 4.1 (I'm on 4.0 now) via TinyUmbrella to keep my baseband. According to everything I'm reading - once the TSS server is running it is apparently supposed to "kill" iTunes.

However, when I try it it shows that that the TSS server is running but it never kills iTunes or show anything beyond "TSS Accepting connections..."

I tried it with both iTunes opened manually myself before running TinyUmbrella and without and both ways it never shows anything "TSS Accepting connections..."

Is it imperative that TinyUmbrella "kills" iTunes? Am I missing something here?

james92se

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
Dallas, TX
That's what I ended up doing was just killing it myself. Now, however, I get "could not restore because this firmware file is not compatible" as soon as I manually select the IPSW file that I downloaded from iClarified.

james92se

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
Dallas, TX
Make sure your hosts point to cydias server and you download the correct ipsw file for your model iPhone and firmware version.

The hosts file does point to 74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com at the bottom. I tried it with the # in front and without, and get the same thing every time.

The thing is that as SOON as I select the IPSW file it immediately gives the message saying it's not compatible. It doesn't even seem like it tries to connect to any server or "think" about it (unless it does it in a nanosecond before I even finish selecting the IPSW file).

I d/l'd the file straight from iClarified, via Chrome. It downloaded it as an .ipsw file and not the goofy .zip file I remember having to mess with a few years ago.

Any ideas?

james92se

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
Dallas, TX
I downloaded the same 4.1 IPSW from Redmondpie last night before bed. Woke up half an hour early this morning before work to try it again with the Redmondpie file and it worked like a charm first time.

No clue why the iClarified file was doing that. Good Lord I was about to pull my hair out!

I'm not restored clean on 4.1 with 01.59.00 baseband and will JB and unlock after work :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.