Tinyumbrella ?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by robkot, Mar 23, 2011.

1. robkot macrumors member

I am using green poison to jailbreak later today, should I use tiny umbrella? Can someone please Explain what it does I'm a newb

Thanks

2. Cool Hwhip macrumors member

In noob terms, it saves the little file iTunes needs to restore an iPhone/iPad/iPod. As of now, only 4.3 are the only little files you can get. If you save these little files now, you'll be able to restore to 4.3 in the future.

These little files are called SHSHs.

3. robkot thread starter macrumors member

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You don't need TU to jb with GP.
    As long as you're on 4.2.1 right now.

5. Cool Hwhip macrumors member

Uh, did you not read my post?

6. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

When you restore your iPhone, this request is sent to Apple for approval. After a while, Apple stops signing these requests for older iOS's (such as iOS 4.0.2), and as a result the restore becomes impossible. TinyUmbrella is an utility that detects your iPhone's OS version and creates a fake signature that can fool iTunes into approving the restore. This signature file that TinyUmbrella saves is commonly called the SHSH blob. This backing up of SHSH blobs is mostly useful only after you jailbreak, because Cydia can save these blobs for later use (such as downgrading).

As for before you jailbreak, yes you should have TinyUmbrella as a safety net. It has a "Kick from recovery" feature which can save your iPhone if it gets into permanent DFU or something crazy.