Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FallibleClover

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2009
NOTE: This is only beneficial for those using Snow Leopard

Hey,

I've come across a few threads of people having difficulty converting certain files types for use with iTunes and Apple TV, I've had some of the same problems myself but I've recently discovered a quick and novel way to overcome this using Quicktime X. All that's required is to open the file using Quicktime X (a plug-in is required to play MKV files in Quicktime; a quick search for Perian will allow you do this), then Save the file as a "Movie". Quicktime will convert the file while saving to a MOV file (usually takes less then 30 seconds). This MOV files can easy be dragged into and added to an iTunes library while keeping all aspects of the original file intact.

I'm not sure if this is wildly know (it probably is) but I said I'd make a tread anyway. Hope it helps

bazzaric

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2009
NOTE: This is only beneficial for those using Snow Leopard

Hey,

I've come across a few threads of people having difficulty converting certain files types for use with iTunes and Apple TV, I've had some of the same problems myself but I've recently discovered a quick and novel way to overcome this using Quicktime X. All that's required is to open the file using Quicktime X (a plug-in is required to play MKV files in Quicktime; a quick search for Perian will allow you do this), then Save the file as a "Movie". Quicktime will convert the file while saving to a MOV file (usually takes less then 30 seconds). This MOV files can easy be dragged into and added to an iTunes library while keeping all aspects of the original file intact.

I'm not sure if this is wildly know (it probably is) but I said I'd make a tread anyway. Hope it helps

subscribed...

This is interesting, and i'm waiting for my Apple TV to arrive so will hopefully be able to try this out on Monday

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.