Tip for moving icons

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by davidy, Mar 3, 2008.

1. davidy macrumors 6502

davidy

I tend to add a lot of web apps for function and usability testing, and usually end up with several pages of icons.

In order to beter organize them I move them from one page to another. Moving an icon to a different page is sometimes is a problem. I slide the icon to the edge but sometimes it just doesn't easily move to the next page until I try two of three times. Or it won't go at all if the next page is full.

A perfect solution to this is to simply move one icon out of the dock at the bottom of the page. Then move the icon you want to move into the dock. Now, just flip to the page you want to move the icon to and slide the icon out of the dock.

If you have three+ pages of icons, this is by far the easiest way to move them back and forth.

2. delude macrumors 6502

Nice thinking, I am constantly moving icons and also find it hard, especially with a silicone case on!

3. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

4. jbarr macrumors regular

Wow, talk about thinking outside the box! Excellent solution.

For me, I found that you CANNOT move an icon across multiple pages, only one page at a time. The trick is to aalways keep your finger held down on the ICON. To move across multiple pages, just tap and hold the icon and slide to the edge of the first page, causing the next page to slide in. At this point, the page will not slide to a further page, but your finger and the held icon will be at the edge of the screen. Now, slide the icon toward the center of the current page, then slide back in the direction of the new page, and the page will slide to the next page. You simply need to be always holding down on the icon. It takes a bit of patience and practice, but it works.