Tip for those who need to swap numbers between two phones

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by guru_ck, Jun 23, 2010.

1. guru_ck macrumors 6502

So my story is that I have an iPhone 3G S and iPhone 4. I needed to get the numbers swapped between the two but since they use different types of SIM cards I wasn't able to swap them myself. So I went to an AT&T store in a strip mall and they were basically like we can't swap the numbers in our system using the exiting SIM cards. You will need a new regular SIM and micro SIM but we only have micro SIMs for the iPad right now. He told me to come back tomorrow (when the sky will be falling I imagine considering it's launch day) as that's when they they'll have them in stock. I argued with him saying that they could just provide me with an iPad SIM and that a SIM is a SIM. He didn't care and said I was lucky that I had gotten my iPhone a day early. I told him that Apple actually cares about there customers and had I ordered from AT&T I probably would of been in a worse situation and then I walked out.

Determined not to give up I called an AT&T store at my local mall who informed me that they have been sending their customers to Apple to get new micro SIMs. Sure enough I walked into Apple and they gave me one for free. Then I headed to AT&T in the mall and they took care of me. They were all so jealous but a lot more helpful than the first store I went to. Also it was funny to see 10 people lined up in front of the Apple store. I felt like taking a picture of them with my new iPhone 4 but that would just be cruel.

The jist of the story is: If you need to swap numbers between your new iPhone 4 and another device then go to Apple to get a new micro SIM. Hope that helps some people!

2. dojoman macrumors 65816

3. lilchub101 macrumors member

This helped allot!

I am doing upgrade swaps on two lines tomorrow I would have never thought to ask apple for a sim thanks a bunch!

4. NateDogX macrumors member

This is totally wrong. All you need is the IMEI number from the iPhone 4 and they'll be able to port the number from your old line over to the iPhone 4.

5. guru_ck thread starter macrumors 6502

Not if you've already activated the iPhone 4 against the original number that it shipped with jackass. Once a SIM is activated IT CAN NEVER BE REUSED AGAIN.