>> TIP >> Go to your carrier to unlock your iPhone NOT JB.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SmackP, Jul 24, 2010.

1. SmackP macrumors member

If you have an iPhone locked to a carrier just go to the carrier and have them unlock it for you.

You can do this over the web too.

I unlocked my 3GS (with 4.0) by going to o2 webpage and requesting unlock.

It was done within 6 hours.

Now I don't have to worry about jailbreak or the 4.1 that fries your iPhone warranty if it detects your phone has been jailbroken.

Just a tip I found out after 1 year of faffing about JB my 3GS.

2. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

3. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

4. fishmoose macrumors 68000

I think there is a EU law that dictates that you can have any handset unlocked for a fee after a year. So this will probably only work in the EU. I know here in Sweden it works like I described it.

5. spades1412 macrumors 6502

I don't think this works in the US with AT&T. At least, Ive never heard of anyone doing it.

6. impulse462 macrumors 68000

impulse462

Yeah, 4.1 "fries" your phone if it "detects" its been jailbroken, like that makes sense.

Also, obviously this can be done in Europe after having a handset for a year, but not the US

7. SmackP thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, it disables your iPhone if it finds traces of a Jailbreak.

That's as good as frying it!

8. OttawaGuy macrumors 6502a

OttawaGuy

9. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

who is telling you this stuff?

10. impulse462 macrumors 68000

impulse462

Why don't you first read and learn about something before coming up with useless theories on what it does and doesn't do.

11. SmackP thread starter macrumors member

12. impulse462 macrumors 68000

impulse462

If you completely restore the phone, no one can find traces of a jailbreak, unless apple starts putting software into the phone that is not erased during a full restore, and can detect and log that root access had been allowed.

Jailbreaking voids your warranty, but if you restore to a stock firmware, no one can tell you've jailbroken unless they've physically seen your phone jailbroken before.

EDIT: i read your link, but it doesnt seem troubling to me. If that really did exist, a lot more people would know and it would be everywhere.

13. SmackP thread starter macrumors member

It can be done in less than a year (I DID!).

I've heard people do this 15mins after they bought the phone.

14. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

15. impulse462 macrumors 68000

impulse462

Well, I dont know the rules for Europe, but my cousin lives in Norway and he had his 3G under contract for a year and then they allowed him to unlock it.

16. SmackP thread starter macrumors member

No. I'm talking about the new 4.1 firmware to be released (currently released to developers). NOT the 4.0.1.

Here's a quote about your recovery approach:

"The system allows the device to track the release made, that remains even if you made the recovery software. So in this way any employee of Apple could check the "conditions" of the devices returned under warranty, and cancel it immediately. If the news is true it would be really bad news for anyone who can not do without Cydia and the world that revolves around"

also:

It checks your phone periodically!

"It seems the company is implementing a new encryption technology to apply a digital watermark or fingerprint that will check periodically if your iDevices have been jailbroken (presumably to inform Apple employees when you try to validate your warranty or AppleCare)."

So they will know it is JB before you even go to the store.

17. SmackP thread starter macrumors member

18. fishmoose macrumors 68000

No its false, get over it.

19. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

you'd rather believe a rumor than a statement made by the hackers themselves? :rolleyes:

20. Conversion macrumors member

Conversion

I believe it's only in the EU it's possible.
    Here in Denmark you can get it unlocked for free when your contract expires after 6 months. Otherwise you can pay 500DKK (~ $85) and get it unlocked before, although you're still on a contract.
    And that applies to all carriers.

21. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Phone locking even after contract is a feature of ATT that some carriers world wide have adopted but otherwise many like in the euro countries unlock the phone or sell it unlocked in the first place. ;)

And then when a group of lawyers try to sue ATT so that the very people complaining can unlock their iPhones, they yell out silly things like "lol dumb lawsuit" and "ugh welcome to sue happy america", oh and my favorite, "i'm going to sue mcdonalds because they don't have the whopper" since the iPhone on sprint or Verizon is not the point of the lawsuit.

So if things look a little ass backwards here in the US, just know we've acknowledged it but a solution won't come for a very, very, very long time. Shepple enjoy getting poached and anything else frightens them.