TIP MAC convert iphone movie to image sequence, frame grabber

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MacVibe, Oct 10, 2010.

1. MacVibe macrumors regular

This might be obvious to some people but I didn't find the information googling so I am submitting this tip.

1.) open iphoto (if it doesn’t open automatically when the iphone is connected), select the video file, and choose to “import selected”. Save this “mov” file in a new directory.
    2.) Open imovie (I’m using the ’09 version which has different menus than previous versions).
    3.) File>import the “mov” file you saved and choose full resolution for best results.
    4.) Drag the clip to the project window and adjust the yellow selection tool and just select the frames you want to keep.
    5.) This is where I got hung up. Where I would normally expect there to be a File>export option there isn’t. Use the Share menu, “Share>Export movie using quicktime”. If you don’t have this option, you may need to install “Quicktime player 7” from your Snow leopard disk. I have found QT player 7 to be more robust (for example opening avi files) than the default QT player installed with snow leopard.
    6.) When you “export movie using quicktime” you need to select the option under export to be “Movie to Image Sequence”. Then, under options, you can choose the flavor of the image file, e.g., tif, jpg, png, etc.

Enjoy! Warning, only do this for short clips as the size of the directory will grow proportional to the length of the clip.

2. Apple-Guy macrumors member

Sorry for bumping this thread, but this was very helpful and i wanted to thank the original poster for sharing his method.

(i ended up doing it straight from within quicktime 7 (file->export, movie to image sequence, options to refine the FPS/quality))

So yeah, thanks again, helped me out a bunch :)

Greetz,

Apple-Guy

3. MacVibe thread starter macrumors regular

Hi,

Sorry for another bump, but I actually needed to use this again today. Unfortunately for me, the export setting in Quicktime 7 is greyed out for me since I don't have the pro version. However jumping through the hoops by going through iMovie still allowed the export to work using Quicktime. It looks like tif is no longer an option.