Tip: Playing 1080p MKVs smoothly

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hasbean, May 8, 2008.

1. hasbean macrumors newbie

I've been searching 'till I was blue in the face on how to play 1080p MKVs smoothly to no avail. Couldn't understand why my Macbook Pro stuttered.

However, I found a lonely, abandoned post on the Perian forums asking me to install avc1Decoder from http://www003.upp.so-net.ne.jp/mycometg3

So all I did was copy the component to /Library/Quicktime and installed the prefPane. Blam, the MKV was playing absolutely perfectly under Quicktime with no hitches! I thought I'd post this here and spread the info. Heck, maybe even a Mac Mini would stand a chance now?

My hardware: MBP 2.4ghz with 4g ram under Leopard.

2. catachip macrumors regular

catachip

I'd be interested to hear the mileage people get with this one. I have a 2.4 Ghz MBP with 4 GB of Ram and a 256 mb video card. 720p mkvs play fine in Quicktime (+Perian) and VLC. 1080p mkvs stutter in both of them.

I'll give this a try when I get home - anyone else already give it a shot?

3. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

as soon as i get an .mkv i usually export it in quicktime as mp4 with passthrough video (just rips the h264 in the mp4 no loss of quality) and encode the audio into aac, only takes a few minutes and its more mac friendly, not to mention appletv.

4. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I dont use perian but do use vlc player and it plays all 1080p in mkv/h264 just fine without any stuttering in my 2.4Ghz macbook.

Also I just install flip4mac, never touched perian.

5. Blubbert macrumors 6502

On my 2.5 Ghz Penryn 17'', 1080p plays without stuttering or any problems in MPlayer. Quicktime can play 1080p too but you have to wait for it to load and its a generally worse experience than MPlayer.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

7. hasbean thread starter macrumors newbie

I just noticed that not all 1080p h264 mkvs stutter. For those problematic MKVs, however, give this tip a go.

8. yarinb macrumors newbie

VLC Stuttering

Sorry i'm breaking into an open door here, but does anyone ever had any stuttering while playing regular divx .avi movies?

I have a brand new penryn with a clean Leopard installation, and on VLC sometimes movies will stutter for a few seconds from time to time.
    It is very irritating while watching a movie.

All i could find in the logs are the following error messages while the stuttering occurs:

Code:
    May  9 00:25:44 MacBook-Pro kernel[0]: IOAudioStream[0x4887f00]::clipIfNecessary() - adjusting clipped position to (3c00,3b59)
    May  9 00:25:50 MacBook-Pro kernel[0]: IOAudioStream[0x4887f00]::clipIfNecessary() - Error: attempting to clip to a position more than one buffer ahead of last clip position (3c0f,31fa)->(3c11,2c48).
    Anyone else having stutters in VLC/Quicktime?

Yarin

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yes sometimes, but it's usually an encoding error. I can download a movie or encode myself. When I watch the downloaded version it might stutter, so encode my own with the same settings and it works fine.

10. yarinb macrumors newbie

I was thinking actually in that direction... but too many movies stutter on the MBP while running just fine on Linux/WinXP VLC (even on my XBMC Xbox machine).