TIP: Reducing Hard Drive idle noise in 15 " UBmbp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thelairster, Nov 28, 2009.

1. thelairster macrumors newbie

I purchased a new 15inch mbp and swapped the hard drive to a new WD 640gb model. The macbook pro is a quiet machine which has meant that the most apparent noise is hard drive idle noise. I noticed there is a substantial amount of headspace above and below the hard drive. I stuck Small squares of 3mm thick rubberised foam on the four corners of the hard drive on the bottom and top side to provide a firmer fit for the hard drive. (not too firm mind you, by design the the hard drive has a small amount of room to move on all sides, as it helps with knocks) The vibration in the drive is reduced and the computer is noticeably quieter.

Has anyone done anything like this or has some other tips or suggestions. I love a quiet computer.

2. reallynotnick macrumors 6502a

I have been thinking of doing something like this ever since I got a 500GB WD because I noticed when I apply slight pressure on top of the right hand rest it gets quieter, just haven't had the drive to open it up again. And now where I spend 95% of my computing time there is enough white noise I can't even hear it anymore.

3. thelairster thread starter macrumors newbie

I did the exact same thing, pressure on the right hand side of the trackpad and the hard drive goes quiet. That's what got me thinking about the foam bits.

4. EndlessMac macrumors 6502

Either you guys have loud machines or my laptop is unusually quiet because it doesn't bother me and I consider it quiet especially compared to past laptops. Even when the fan is blasting the fan noise is quieter than they used to be in the past. Maybe I have a higher tolerance to noise. I can barely hear the idle noises from my laptop even in a quiet room.

Usually white noise will drown anything coming from my laptop but even in my quiet room the noise level coming from my computer doesn't bother me. I'm personally quite happy with the noise levels from my MBP especially compared to past Mac and PC laptops I've used in the past. Everyone has their noise tolerance levels but I'm curious to read about others thinking these new laptops' noise levels are bothersome when I think they are the quietest laptops I've used so far.

5. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...just remember to take out that foam if you ever have to get your laptops serviced so we don't see more "applecare CS stinks" threads:D

6. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

This sucks, I will have to chip off the cement I encased the hard drive in to reduce vibrations! :rolleyes:

7. LinMac macrumors 65816

My tip reduces it to no hard drive noise at all.

Get an SSD. :D