Tip to speed up adding movie files to iTunes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cowm007, Oct 5, 2007.

1. cowm007 macrumors regular

I let iTunes manage my Music folder but hate how it always copies the file I add into the corresponding folder. It would be much quicker if it just moved the file, but I guess it would confuse some people.

Anyway, I found that if you move the movie file into the Movies folder and then add directly from there, iTunes adds the file without having to copy it. It will even move it and rename as it needs. Speeds up adding TV shows I ripped from DVD's over-night. Every little bit helps.

2. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Or you can add it without moving or copying by pressing the option key while dragging it to iTunes. It uses the original location.

3. ebouwman macrumors 6502a

you can also go into preferences and just make it so it never copies the files

4. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

Don't you need command-option dragging?

5. cowm007 thread starter macrumors regular

I don't like using the original location though. I have a scratch-disk area where I store temp movies and such. I like how iTunes organizes everything perfectly into a TV Shows folder. I just hated that it would copy from my "temp" folder to the "TV Shows" folder instead of just moving the file.