[TIP] When AT&T Subsidizes iPhone.... here is what you do...

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by FarSeide, May 30, 2008.

1. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

If you have an existing account:

1. Change your account to a family plan.
    2. Add the iPhone as a new line to the existing family plan and you will pay additional 9.99 a month.
    3. You will get the iPhone at a discounted rate. Your iPhone discount will be offset by 9.99 * 24 Months but at least you wont have to fork over the entire non-subsidized cost at once.

Just a thought folks.

2. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

More expensive than the subsidy is worth unless ATT is planning to give away the iPhone which I doubt.

3. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Nice theory, bad math.

If you have an individual plan, it costs $40/month. If you have a 2-line family plan, it's $60. For a third line, it's $70.

Even if you have two and go for a third, you're paying an extra $10 for 24 months. That's $240. The rumored subsidy was $200 off.

Nice theory, bad math.

4. smt1192 macrumors regular

Hey, I am a current AT&T subscriber on a family plan. I am not the owner, but I am an add on on the plan. What would be the most economical thing to do in my case, as I want to buy the iPhone when it comes out. Should I cancel my line, except I have like 14 months left on the contract.

5. smt1192 macrumors regular

6. boxgamex macrumors newbie

considering ATT's site says im already eligible for an upgrade if I sign up for another 2 years, even though my contract was only started in early July, I'm pretty sure they'd just let you re-up.

7. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

Why not?

8. s8film40 macrumors 6502

s8film40

Well what happens if you do this and then say after about a month cancel the line with the old iPhone.

9. pavvento macrumors 6502

I've been through a lot of product launches and it continues to amuse me how many people make these statements like they know what's going to happen. Rumors are fun and thats why forums exist, but when people claim to have 'insider knowledge' chances are they heard it from a worker (who got it from a website) or a 'friend.' if you want to speculate thats awesome, but speculating and pretending are completely different. PM me if I'm wrong but I highly doubt AT&T's official policy will be to convert to a family plan, open a line you won't use, spend $240 plus taxes, fill in mail in rebate and enjoy spending more money.

Here's to a 3g iPhone whenever, and however it happens!

10. Abraxsis macrumors 6502

Abraxsis

This is 100% correct. My local rep told me that regardless of what plan or how long is remaining on your contract the iPhone's contract will supersede it and render it null and void. Basically as long as you agree to a new 2 year contract with the iPhone plan, ATT will let you out of any existing contract you may have with them without penalties. I was worried about this because as a blackberry user I not only agreed to a 2 year contract for the voice plan, I also agreed to 2 years for the blackberry service via a separate contract.

11. Tomass04 macrumors newbie

I don't think doing what you said would be worth it. The best thing to do is just sign up for a new two year contract.

12. MegaMan1311 macrumors regular

So what do you do if you are not an existing customer?

13. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

but by the time you have fulfilled your contract you will have paid for your iPhone (the handset) and the Plan overall, so the monthly rate will increase?

will there be an option to buy iPhone non-subsidized? This is Apple getting too smart for Jailbreakers... now i have had it...

14. macwh0re macrumors member

Hey I also work for ATT (I'm an ASM) and was wondering if you could point me in the right direction to finding this info.