Tipping

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by cycocelica, Oct 8, 2008.

1. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

I hate tipping and the culture around it (speaking about America). We are expected to tip people who are just doing their required job. I was a bagger at a grocery store and helped carry groceries out for countless people but never got tipped. To me, doing that and serving someone food are basically the same. I only tip a dollar at the maximum no matter what the final price is.

So why should I tip someone? Because it's the "right" thing to do? I have countless people who work in the restaurant industry and say that they do not deserve tips at all.

Now I know in some states waiters make below minimum wage, so tipping helps cover the lost wages but up here in Washington they make minimum wage, the same amount as grocery baggers make and everyone else who do a service.

So why do you tip?

2. j3nsen macrumors member

Ah man. Well, I'm a server at Red Lobster and I'll fill you in on a little secret. People like you, that leave a $1-3 on a $60+ dollar bill are the reason I hate my job so much. I make ~$4.00/hour [i believe a little less] and DO NOT get a check.

My entire income is based on what my tables leave me for a tip. Every week my check is for $0.00, literally. I'm not saying that you should tip everywhere, because I know not every place makes below minimum wage, but almost waiters in actual restaurants make less than $5/hour.

Now, we put up with your chugging down of pops, screaming kids that throw food all over the floor, running around to get your damn hot sauce and what-not, and clean up the mess after you leave. And to get $2 out of that? How do you expect anyone to make a living or pay bills? Do you think about if that man or woman waiting on you has children to support?

A good number of the people I work with are single parents trying to make a decent living, please consider that. How would you feel if you got a paycheck for $0.00 every week and bust your ass just to satisfy people stuffing their face that leave you nothing in return.

3. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

When in Rome.

In England, in my experience, it's bad form to tip the landlord/barman in a pub, especially if you are sitting at the bar.

4. tedrjr03 macrumors regular

tedrjr03

In Virginia servers only make $2.13 an hour, So they rely on tips to make a living.

5. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Ever since I found out that most waiters/tresses make below minimum and that most of their income is based on tips, I start at 15%. I typically give a 20%, and maybe more if I am happy with the service.

Heck, I have to admit that even if I am not happy I still give close to the 15% :eek:

I try to do take out if I know the tip will be huge and will dent my budget for the week though. :p

6. philamac macrumors regular

its the comments like these that piss me off about tipping.

I don't mind tipping for good service, but I don't need a sob story about how little servers make or how hard their life is already. I don't need to feel like I owe you something every time I eat at your establishment. Tips are too common thought of as a given, a requirement, and that is wrong.

Tipping is about my money, and my service, and my generosity. If you had a hard day and you take it out on me, don't complain that you got sheet. I tip quite generously, and quite often, but this whole idea behind what someone SHOULD (is mandated to) leave is preposterous.

Also, if a poor single parent just living paycheck to paycheck takes a kid out for a good meal, at their favorite place, on their birthday, and she leaves only what she can afford, $3, for a $60 meal, is she wrong for leaving such little tip? Are you gonna give her crap cause she's barely making ends meet and can't afford to leave you what she's not indebted to?

7. Rhosfelt macrumors 65816

Rhosfelt

I only tip if I deem the service is good enough, or the waiter(ress) was busy. I really don't like tipping and I think restaurants should pay minimum wage, I have no idea why they don't.

Being a poor college student has severely dented my tipping budget though.

8. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

The fact that restaurants pay servers such crap wages is the issue here, and if you don't like the %age tipping because of the amount, then look at the amount of service and tip what you can.

It is not "feel sorry for me" type of thing, it is the type of job and how the pay structure is. If you are too cheap to tip, then you are just too cheap to tip.
    If they were getting paid a "normal" wage, i.e. McDonalds where regardless if you give anything or not doesn't impact what they take home pay is, then I totally agree with you. In other countries that is the case I believe, but in the US it is part of the crappy system.

9. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

"You're *not* Mr. Purple. Somebody from another job's Mr. Purple. You're Mr. Pink!"

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

How do you get a cheque for $0 if you make $4 per hour?

Anyway, I guess I tip. Haven't had to do it regularly in ages though, not unless the waiter/waitress deserved it, or if our table was huge. That's the benefit of living outside of North America, I guess. ;)

Just think of the tip as part of the cost of going out. If you can afford the price of the main course that you want to order, but you can't afford the tip, then you can't afford to eat out and shouldn't be there.

However, I do think that the customary 15% is too much. When I hear of friends making around $20/hour waiting tables, I wonder why the custom is to tip 15% when clearly 10% would still be more than enough to pay someone for such menial task.

11. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

How is your check $0.00?

12. Rhosfelt macrumors 65816

Rhosfelt

first thing i thought of too...

13. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

I was under the impression waiters can only be paid lower is if their tips bring them up to minimum wage. So essentially they making minimum wage.

Either way, I still tip. A 20% tip on good service isn't asking too much of me.

14. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

You guys lost me. :confused:

15. philamac macrumors regular

It's illegal to not get paid federal minimum wage. If you're not getting minimum, stop working there. If you still work there, your employer is breaking the law, and you're enabling it.

16. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Keep in mind also that the IRS will assume an annual income above W-2 wages if someone reports that their profession is waitstaff. In other words, you may leave a buck for a $20 tab on principle, but the Tax man is going to calculate that you left four, and tax on that.

Crappy service will still get a commensurate tip from me, but in general, I always leave a rounded 20%, knowing that they're going to be taxed on it anyway.

I know other cultures frown on them, and sometimes even consider them insulting, but that's not the case here. When in Rome... (that seems to be a common rejoinder lately).

17. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Reservoir Dogs. Mr. Pink doesn't tip.

18. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Yep, if hourly wage + tips DO NOT meet minimum wage ... the employer is required to make up the difference.

It should be posted on the FLSA minimum wage poster on the wall of the workplace.

If you are getting $4 an hour after tips, and accurately reporting your tips ... you can always quit or file a FLSA violation against the employer, or both.

Of course the employer is likely to say that the employee is getting $4 over minimum wage and lying on their tip sheet.

19. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

wrong. most waiters make more than min wage. it wasnt uncommon for my bro to make 100 a night on like 5 hrs of work (he worked at a steakhouse)

i hate tipping

i work my ass off at my job and dont get tips. if people complain about tips, well tough luck they went into that industry full aware of it

i hate how i feel i must tip for EVERYTHING in the food industry. i hate how bartenders expect a dollar tip for each drink they give me

i believe tips should be optional and given on merit. i hate how waiters get MAD at me if i leave a tip of less than 10%. my brother would continually complain about people that just left 10%. excuse me, its still a tip that i had generously given to you and it does nothing but insult thee waiter....well next time no tip

im going to stop tipping unless its deserved. i cant tell you how poor service ive received and ive still left a tip.

ugh i hope my post was coherent

20. InvalidUserID macrumors 6502a

InvalidUserID

I'm in the minority here in that I don't mind tipping at restaurants. I worked in the food industry during college so I can sympathize. My tip really depends on the type of restaurant, the service and my requests, if any. I've left outrageous tips when service was great and a penny when service was awful.

As for the bar, I'll usually give the bartender a $5-$10-$20 (depending on the type of night I plan on having) upfront and let them know I'll be back later. I don't have to mess with tips with each drink and I get faster service.

I DON'T tip at places like: coffee/tea shop, auto shops, bookstores, or restaurants where all the cashier does is enter my order and take my cash.

21. MacNoobie macrumors 6502a

MacNoobie

Ok so wait if you hate it so much then don't go out and eat at a restaurant when a trip to McDonalds would suffice for the need to eat and not have to do the "right" thing and tip someone for their service its as simple as that. Usually baggers earn at least minimum wage if not more and are NOT required to help carry someones groceries out to their car so if someone asks you and doesn't tip you then you're really doing the "right" thing as a person. Wow $1 tip.. I assume that you don't tip the delivery drivers either for delivering pizza to your house since we all know that they really don't deserve tips either?

To be honest going to a restaurant is a luxury and is often treated as such, if you can afford to go and eat every night then I doubt you'd be complaining about it being customary to tip the waiter/waitress at least something for serving you especially if they do a good job at it be it a dollar or 10-15-20%. Whats next you're gonna complain about the restaurants automatically adding a 15% gratuity on bills for 6+ people?

22. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

The OP brings up a good point, I tip at any restaurant I go to, but to be honest, it is mainly because it is just what I have grown into. It is always about 20%, and it is never because of exceptional service or anything.

Another place where you always see tipping cups and the sort are ice-cream places and coffee shops. Granted, coffee shops can have some pretty precise orders that somebody may tip for, but I never tip anything more than what I get in pennies for change at places like this. I never order anything ultra-specific, so I never feel the need to tip. And I only tip the pennies because pennies for me never accumulate to much of anything, they just jingle around in my pocket and annoy me. But one time that I do tip at places like this are when somebody stays at the window to serve you well after the posted closing time. Whenever I do this, I always tip a few bucks, after all, they did stay there longer to serve me than what they were getting paid for.

Another time when I hate tipping is included gratuity tips, what if the service was horrible, why should I be required to tip?

23. MacNoobie macrumors 6502a

MacNoobie

Tipping isn't mandatory, I don't see it written anywhere that you NEED to leave a 10% tip for example its just customary to tip something for the waiter/waitress serving you food running back and forth and 10% is a good start. As a bonus for their generous behavior they should get at least 10%, if they were total crap didn't get your order right mixed things up spilled drinks etc then I'd say no tip for them.

Also if the poor parent living paycheck to paycheck is going out to a restaurant and spending $60+ on a meal with their family be it something special or just a night out then they need to get their priorities in order. I'm sure a parent living paycheck to paycheck $63 would go along way towards food or a bill and if its a kids birthday I'm sure a party at pizza hut would satisfy both the parents budget and the kids happiness.

24. Rhosfelt macrumors 65816

Rhosfelt

Yep, because I am never on the bill of more than six people so we have to get it split and the tip is treated like another portion of the bill that I owe, and I have no say in it. The tip should be totally at my discretion.

25. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

in the US tipping is considered part of the wage no if and or buts about it.....

if you refuse to tip do not eat out because you clearly are not willing to pay for your food. You are a cheap skate.

Other way of looking at it is if you did not tip the price of the food would be a lot more than 15% extra. It would be more like 30% more for the same food.
    My rule is if service is OK and what I expect it is 15% impress me 20%. Annoy me off 10% REALLY piss me off 0.01. It shows I thought about and what my opinion of the service was.

What I expect is to be check on every now an then, fill my drink when it is empty. Do not make me have to flag down the hoisted to refill my drink because you are chatting with you friend. Basically walk by the table every now and then and check on me.