Tips & Advice for a New Mac User?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by KidZgOtMac, Jul 19, 2011.

1. KidZgOtMac macrumors regular

KidZgOtMac

Finally acquired a Macbook Pro. Got the MC723LL/A or second configuration of the 15". Although I do know plenty about computers, programs, etc. and I'm quite knowledgeable, I would highly appreciate any sort of advice from the widely experienced Mac users. Thanks a million in advance.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Use Google.

3. KidZgOtMac thread starter macrumors regular

KidZgOtMac

If I wanted to use Google I would have, but first hand advice beats any type of review, guide.

4. Ladybug, Jul 19, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2011

Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

Learn the shortcut keys.

http://www.danrodney.com/mac/

Edit: As a switcher, it was hard for me to let go of trying to manually manage everything myself. Many times the answer was right in front of me but because things were so simple, I honestly just didn't see it right away. Give yourself a few weeks to adapt, and in the meantime learn as much as you can and ask questions if need to. Grats on the new MBP.

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It really doesn't, especially when you are stuck. You can just Google "How do I [ ] in OS X?" and you will get your answer.

6. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

As LadyBug said, learn the keyboard short cuts.

And i think you should start learning and Google for any questions as most people here learn to use a mac by themselves.

oh and QuickSilver is recommended.

http://quicksilver.en.softonic.com/mac

7. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

nobody knows what you want to do ... your request is too broad.

search this forum ... most questions have been asked and answered before

8. apd macrumors member

Exactly. What you are asking is "please tell me everything you know about Mac that may be useful" which might be quit a lot when you are a long term mac user. Browse these forums and you will find all the hints and tips you need.

9. simsaladimbamba

I know the following is a conglomeration of guides, but they seem to have helped several new users somehow.

And "+1" to using Google to search for specific answers to specific questions.
    Often threads are posted here, that could have been answered in a 10 seconds www search, some threads could have been solved with a 1 minute search.
    And doing a search is often faster than registering here, confirming the registration and posting a thread here.

And as you have a MacBook Pro:

10. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Congrats on the Mac and enjoy it.

Give yourself time to get used to it. I'd suggest downloading one of those Switching From Windows to Mac documents (there are some on this forum, GGJstudios has posted some, for example) and keeping it on your desktop so you can consult it as you need to. Learn the keyboard short-cuts - Macs and Windows computers do much the same thing, but the actual commands to do so may differ.

Edit: Simsaladimbamba has just beaten me to it with a link to GGJstudios' reference; thanks; to the OP, download this onto your desktop and use it as a reference, it's excellent.

Cheers