Tips and walkthrough for Mac OSX 10.5.2 installation & wireless connection

Discussion in 'macOS' started by phenixbleu, Feb 12, 2008.

1. phenixbleu macrumors member

Since MAC OSX Leopard 10.5 release, many updates have been rolled out to improve its performance. Yesterday, Apple released 10.5.2 which is 341mb in size. Many Mac users have been complaining about the size, and problems which they have encountered, installing the new update. I will provide somewhat of a walkthrough to minimize problems which you might run into installing 10.5.2.

1) Please! Backup all you data (All of it!!).... That is the most important thing. Disconnect any peripherals attached to your Mac. This may cause some problems along the way.

2) Check if any new update, for apps which you install has become available for download.

3) Run maintenance scripts before the update and then restart your Mac. Apps such as Onyx and Mainmenu will cover all the maintenance corners for you.

4) Make such all apps are closed (check login items which might slow down, performance), then launch software update.

5) Because of the size of the update (341mb) it might take a while, depending on your internet connection. You can also download the 10.5.2 combo update from Apple’s download section. This helps if you are at work and the internet connection speed is faster than your home network. You can download the file and put it on a disk or usb drive, and then install it when you get home.

6) Launch the install and begin, the install might look unresponsive but it is still working. You might not want to be surfing the web and that sort of stuff when doing this.

7) After the install is done, it will ask to restart or do it on its own if you updated in software update. At startup it might take a while, DO NOT TURN OFF OR RESTARTED THE MAC WHILE THIS IS BEING DONE! Allot of Mac user had to perform a clean install because they restarted their Macs during this process.

*When restarted check for updates till there is nothing left.

8) When you return to your desktop run maintenance scripts or apps again, and then restart. Your Mac at this point will be very active; the reason for this is because in the background many processes are being performed e.g. spotlight indexing etc. Leave your Mac on for about 10-30 mins, this depends on your system configuration. This gives the processes time to do their stuff and return back to normal.

9) lastly, restart again and enjoy.

Note*Many Mac users have been complaining that their wireless connection keeps dropping; here are some good tips to reduce this problem.

1) Check for updates (firmware) for you router
    2) I suggest resetting the router and reconfiguring again.
    3) Make sure you router is not too far from the device which needs it.
    4) Also be aware that there might be interference such as cordless phones and such.
    I normally advice to disconnect the router and modem for about 20 seconds, then connect modem again, then wait till all lights are back on, then plug your router again.

*Read all the improvements Apple has rolled out in the update.

If you are still having problems after all of this, check system preferences incase you set something wrong.

The Macrumors forum users are always here to help, if you cannot find help here, then contact apple that will be your best bet.

*I advice advance Mac users to wait before doing another clean install, I have a strange feeling apple will be rolling out many new updates during this week and early next week, to take a few remaining bugs out which the update might have caused.

2. phenixbleu thread starter macrumors member

Happy Leopard!! 10.5.2

Hope you guys are having success installing leopard 10.5.2, and finding my tips helpful.

3. swcng2001 macrumors newbie

I especially agree with the last part. I have a D-Link DIR 655 router and could not get wireless to work after installing 10.5.2 unless I removed security (WEP, WPA WPA2 all did not work). I then installed latest firmware on the router and it worked immediately after that with full security.

Oh! so far all applications work perfectly. I have Adobe Photoshop CS3, Adobe Lightroom, NeoOffice. All tested OK. I had problems with Wireshark on 10.5.1 and that seems to be resolved now. More testing is required, but I quite pleased so far.

4. phenixbleu thread starter macrumors member

Good to hear

Many people do not realize that their routers do need to be updated. This fixes many wireless drops.

5. phenixbleu thread starter macrumors member

Wireless problems and answer

Many people have been complaining about the new OS and update (10.5.2) and I am tired of it.
    Many of these user have updated their systems from (Panther-Tiger-Leopard). Doing an upgrade is not bad, but it carries bad preferences from your previous OS even if it worked great in the old one, it might be bad for the new one. Thats why I always advise to backup and do a clean install, not upgrade or archive and install cause they carry stuff that makes the new os shaky. e.g wireless setting is carried to new OS which could be the problem. Honestly, 10.5.2 is not bad as what most people are saying and trying to make Leopard look like Vista to get user annoyed.

Note* I have done a clean install and upgraded to 10.5.2 installed all my apps, customize the OS to my likeing, and then do system maintenance by runing scripts and using matanance software.

Many of you guys will think I am a apple loyalist but I just bought my mac 2 weeks ago, and I am already a full on mac user who uses a OS which works flawless.

Phenixbleu.

6. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

i especially agree with number 7. many people with older macs and low RAM think their mac has frozen when the updates are being installed just before it reboots. this is probably why Leopard has included a progress bar to show that updates are being installed. no wonder these users cant boot properly afterwards.

7. phenixbleu thread starter macrumors member

8. phenixbleu thread starter macrumors member

10.5.2 and wirless problems and complaints

Many people have been complaining about the new OS and update (10.5.2) and I am tired of it.Many of these user have updated their systems from (Panther-Tiger-Leopard). Doing an upgrade is not bad, but it carries bad preferences from your previous OS even if it worked great in the old one, it might be bad for the new one. Thats why I always advise to backup and do a clean install, not upgrade or archive and install cause they carry stuff that makes the new OS shaky. e.g wireless setting is carried to new OS which could be the problem. Honestly, 10.5.2 is not bad as what most people are saying and trying to make Leopard look like Vista to get user annoyed.

Note* I have done a clean install and upgraded to 10.5.2 installed all my apps, customize the OS to my liking, and then do system maintenance by running scripts and using maintenance software.

Many of you guys will think I am a apple loyalist but I just bought my mac 2 weeks ago, and I am already a full on mac user who uses a OS which works flawless.

Phenixbleu.

9. phenixbleu thread starter macrumors member

Wanna keep this on top for a while

Just wanna keep this on the front page to help users:D

10. phenixbleu thread starter macrumors member